What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which cps are poisonous?

I have several indoor only cats. I will be trying to germinate CPs here in the near future. I never thought much about any seedlings until I realized my indoor cats can be as problematic as the outdoor ferals/strays. If these plants are toxic, I am going to have to grow them all in a room that I can shut off from the cats such as a spare bedroom. If they aren't toxic, I can germinate them in old bird cages and such to keep the cats away from them without worrying about any plant material growing out through an enclosure that they might ingest.

I am not aware of any CP that is toxic but maybe someone with more expertise in botany could offer more info. I do know that cats can be toxic to CPs! Even if the plants are totally harmless, you don't want your cats chewing on them or pulling them up. Would probably be best to keep the plants somewhere they cats can't get to them.
smile.gif

socrates was killed by coniine (spelling?) poisoning from hemlock. it's the same drug found in sarracenia.

you'd never be able to harvest enough from your plants to die, or even get high. i wouldn't worry about it.

But different things affect different animals differently. (LOL... that sounds cool)
chocolate can kill your dog but it OBVIOUSLY can't kill humans (unless you eat too much)

All my cp's are dangerous to cat's (if I had one). But since no cats have chewed on my plants, I haven't had to chew on any cats.
mad.gif

Seriously your cat will do more harm to your plants than they can ever do to your cat. I sold a guy about $80 worth of plants one time including some mature pitcher plants. About two weeks later I saw him online and I asked how the plants were doing and he told me his sisters cats ate all of them.

oh
jus put chilly powder on the surface of the soil and it the cats shure wont disrupt it ever again, my frend tried taht on his plant (not cp) and the dog stopped lol or u can jus get rid of the cats

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 22 2004,4:58)]socrates was killed by coniine (spelling?) poisoning from hemlock. it's the same drug found in sarracenia.

you'd never be able to harvest enough from your plants to die, or even get high. i wouldn't worry about it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]or even get high
if CPs could get you high though, theyd probably be my favorite plants, over cannabis ^^
LOL
Hellz

lmao , i'm not gonna touch that one hellz
biggrin.gif

my cat and my turtles have both eaten pieces of my nepenthes one time. (same plant ) poor plant. they never were affected and i just keep them away from it so i dont have chewed plants

there was a case i heard mentioned about a cat who ate a VFT then got really sick and almost died. now i don't know if thats true, but if it is, thats kinda scary
confused.gif

i've seen alcohaulic drinks made from drosera (a pic is somewhere on google images and i posted it in a threat about eating cp nectar a long time ago) and they still make tonics out of vft and drosera extract

i wonder if i put a vtf in my birdcage ... Just wondering, because theres no way i would actually do it. The birds would compleatly maul the poor plant and tear it to shreads.

PlantAKiss is correct. I had already called the FREE US Poison Control's National number which is 800.222.1222 and had rattled off a long list and was incapable of finding any CP or insectivorous plant that was poisonous to humans. I did find quite a few orchids that were going to be major GI irritants but other than that, no major threats to humans for any plant matter that would be on the inside of my home. The one concern I was trying to address was ingestation by cats and gosh darnit... I was trying to post the question here to save myself that call to the animal poison control which is not free, 888.426.4435. A call will cost you $50.00. I knew Tiger Lilies and Easter lilies if ingested would not be poisonous to humans or dogs but would kill a cat. These particular plants are what made me ask the above question as no need to have a cat in renal failure if simple precautions could be taken. Based on what I have learned, CPs are not poisonous to cats.

My biggest issue will be to protect the plants I try to grow from the cats. My cats probably won't chew on plants but they most assuredly would try to use planters as litter boxes. I saw another thread in these forums where the member had photgraphed his/her planters. They had large trays with small individual pots contained therein. This will work perfectly for me as there is no way one of my cats could use a 6" or even a 10" pot as a litter box. Problem solved and I can germinate seed in small pots as opposed to troughs! Thank you all!

Water hemlock (Cicuta douglasii) will most probably kill you. The toxic substance in water hemlock is cicutoxin. Poison hemlock (Conium maculatum) is another one that will do major damage to you and that one is part of the parsnip family. I don't recall the actual toxin but it had something to do with alkaloids. Maybe this is the hemlock that got Socrates?

Yeah, hemlock killed Socrates. (Jeff) Conine plays baseball.
smile_m_32.gif

Back