What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to get sand

I was wondering what type of sand to buy for my carnivorous plants and where to get it?

Playground sand is fine. I can get it at stores like Ace Hardware.

I've been using pool filter sand, from Home Depot.

It has a lot of silt in it, so be sure to wash it thoroughly first.

#10 Sandblasting sand is excellent. Can be had at most places that cater to construction types. Combines medium coarse sand and larger grain sand and creates a very airy mix with peat moss.

the only sand I think you should probably avoid is called "Southdown" it is made out of aragonite, which dissolves under low PH (such as RO water) and we all know our plants like to be acidic.

Uh...the sandman?
smile_m_32.gif

Remember, sand is a technical term for a particular particle size or soil texture, not a chemical description. Sand particles can be pure limestone, shell, pumice, quartz, aluminum, etc., or any combination. The composition of locally available sand depends greatly on where you live and where the supplier got it. Some sand compositions would be terrible for CPs.

Particle size:
Very coarse sand -- 2.0 to 1.0 millimeters
Coarse sand -- 1.0 to 0.5 millimeters
Medium sand -- 0.5 to 0.25 millimeters
Fine sand -- 0.25 to 0.10 millimeters
Very fine sand -- 0.10 to 0.05 millimeters
Silt -- 0.05 to 0.002 millimeters
Clay -- smaller than 0.002 millimeters

Soil Texture:
Soil%20Texture.gif

Back