What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to buy plastic pots

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So where do you guys get your CP pots? I want some of those big (10+") black plastic pots that nursery plants come in, but I can't find them at any stores. There are some places to buy them online, but I'd rather not pay shipping if I can avoid it. All I can find around here is ceramic and decorative plastic pots, and I feel like I don't need to pay extra for pretty colors or cute designs, espcially when I'm not even looking at the pots.
Thanks,
~Joe

I just go to Orchard (OSH) for my pots, they've got a nice selection of regular ones and then extra deep ones (I think those are the black ones you're talking about) and so on. Plastic, convenient, cheap.

Try going to the floral department of your local grocery stores. They have 10" two gallon size black plastic heavy duty containers that hold flowers. You have to drill or cut holes in the bottom, but I get them free.

Nice! I love free!
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 22 2005,4:57)]Nice! I love free!
~Joe
It is very rare in life that you can get something fast AND cheap/free AND good quality. Keep in mind that some places return these to the flower vendor. Others just toss them. It helps when approaching the floral person to be humble and bumbling--I do this naturally. Wear beat up clothing, but not so beat looking that you scare them. If you are good looking, flirt a little. If not, use a whole lot of charm. These comments are not directed at you personally Seedjar despite my seeing your profile pic.
smile_m_32.gif

Freecycle, freecycle, freecycle.

OK - now that we found cheap big pots - how about some small - hard plastic jobs - 2"x2"x3" high (or something in that size range). Wanted for Drosera in a growing tank.

Point me to that hidden eBay auction where I can pick up 200 for $5....

I got to Walmart.I get my small ones for 55 cents each.They also sell the big ones.Not fancy or anything but who cares.~Niki~
Oh yeah,also some dollar stores here have them for a buck each,but I'm in Canada.

I have a personal shopper who gets me all kinds of pots. I get all shapes and all sizes and some are even brand new. My personal shopper is a man who works at the local dump.  He intercepts any load that looks promising and plucks goods for me. So there, beat that deal!  

Ron, you're looking in all the wrong places. I'm thinking you should stand guard at the local dump.  The pickins are good, real good.

You snob--wearin the latest fashion in blue sheet metal and flaunting your fancy smancy pots--how shameless!
smile_n_32.gif

I'm sorry sir. Please forgive me sir. I share. Does that make it any better?

I go to the recycle bin - used yogurt cups! They double as 2" pots and just need a few holes put in. My "set up" is the epitome of the "ghetto" look!
biggrin.gif

Oh my, I like the "ghetto look".  Shame my husband doesn't.  I have tried those solo clear plastic cocktail glasses and they work fine if you drill a hole in the bottom. They are short and squat and seem to work fine. For tree seed such as hickories and oaks that shoot out a long tap root, I use 2-liter diet pepsi bottles with the upper most portion cut off.  Those actually work great. I also use those opaque water glass size solo cups that come in the primary colors for germinating other seed as well as the rubbermaid size sandwich and shoebox sized storage containers and... the boxes you sent me from your lab. There are so many everyday objects out there that will work. Ron is simply not being creative enough. And yes, the Dannon yogurt containers have worked well for me in the past also as have cottage cheese containers and just about anything else I could get my hands on.

I also use shallow and tall deli containers for Neps. But that approach came from a friend. I'll just have to keep away from utilizing streams!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ron is simply not being creative enough.

Man ... sounds like my wife**......
smile_t_32.gif

Hey, I use the clear clamshell containers sandwiches come in as mini-greenhouses....does that count?
confused.gif
smile_l_32.gif

** - kidding and no my wife is not looking over my shoulder (but my conscience is...
confused.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey, I use the clear clamshell containers sandwiches come in as mini-greenhouses....does that count?

Your wife done trained you well honey!

Back