What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do you all plan to break out your beasts?

I got too lazy this 2004-2005 winter season. Didn't put most of my VFT into artificial dormancy. Just kept them under lights with all my other CP. Here's a pic of one:

VFT_A8_web.jpg

I can see the lack of a dormancy has caused your plant great distress! Lack of dormancy has never caused any problems with my plants. And it sure hasn't bothered yours too much either. Scottychaos is very adamant as to the dormancy thing, and won't listen to anybody about it, but I wish he could see my plants too. Smaller than usual, but very active growthwise, and even winter flowers. Crazy critters those VFT's. Great picture, Joseph!!

Nearly all or actually, all of my VFT get attacked by spider mites chronically and viciously. Often a period of dormancy in the refrigerator, especially while submerged, can have wonderful eradicative effects on these pests and give the plants a reprieve so that they grow with renewed vigor once returned to normal growing conditions. This last year I sealed nearly all of my VFT’s planted in individual pots, into community Ziploc bags where I used cinnamon oil and cinnamon powder to attempt to control the spider mite infestations in the confines of the sealed Ziploc bags. Unfortunately this did not completely eliminate the spider mites. However, it did distract me enough so I forget to put any of my VFTs into their normal forced refrigerator dormancy. Oh well, maybe next winter.

Back