What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When Animals Attack...Bog Gardens

I'm excited that in little over a month I'll be constructing a bog garden at my parent's place in NY. I know they have plenty of furry animals running around their yard. These include: deer, raccoon, cats, squirrels, chipmunks and moles (more likely in the winter). I was wondering if there were any bog gardeners in the Northeastern US that have had problems with any of these critters? If so, what did you do about it? I'm just trying to plan ahead. I'm already thinking of building a moat around it to prevent slugs from munching on the pitchers and flytraps. Wondering if I need to make any other "additions" to impede these furry critters. Your feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

where in ny?

All I have are squirrels planting birdseed in my bog...No other problems though.

@Rball - it's in upstate NY...about an hour and a half northwest of NYC.
@PaulJ69 - I can deal with that! haha.

where at i grew up near Binghamton NY

Raccoons like to play in the peat, watch out for that. I've had my bog, raised three feet off the ground, vandalized multiple times. That moat will be really attractive to them, as they love to play in water. Birds like to dig around a little, too, and squirrels have been to blame at least once, as evidenced by a few leftover acorns. Opossums, not really, I don't think. Moles, I don't think so, and deer, maybe, if you have Darlingtonia. But they'll probably just step in it and make a mess that way.

I'm kind of on the other coast but I have curious and agile dogs that like to poke around in my bog. The one that is raised 3 feet off the ground. Even if it wasn't my dogs, we have infuriating squirrels, clever birds, and various other adventurous critters of the night. I use a frame of plywood and chicken wire to keep the furballs (and featherballs?) out. The frame is light and removable but can be securely latched and locked down. It doesn't look too attractive, but I figure it's more desirable than the twister-just-ripped-through-my-bog look. Just my opinion :)

@Rball - it's in the Hudson Valley Region. In Ulster County. Hot, humid summers and cold-a** winters. :) Right now I live in San Francisco where the weather is a lot more to my liking.

@ Lil Stinkpot - I'm thinking raccoons will be less of a problem there (hopefully). I'm more worried about deer and animals that burrow in the ground. I won't be able to grow the Darlingtonia outside in NY but I'm planning on having plenty of Sarrs. I hope the deer won't go after those. That's a bummer about the moat. Maybe I'll have to do a frame around that too like pik suggested.

@pik - so is this frame you are describing basicall like a portable fence? I was thinking of something like that but was hoping for a more attractive option. You're right though...better than a bog that looks like a twister went through it.

something like this?
DSC_00330033.jpg

DSC_00350035.jpg

Hi..Where i live we have all of the above mentioned critters roaming around and causing havic. My bogs are in half whisky barrels and pots. the only problems i have are birds going after VFTs newly emerging from dormancy and squirrels hiding acorns in the fall. So each fall the barrels are mulched over the top for winter protection and have netting over them to keep the squirrels from digging. In the spring the netting is taken off, mulch removed and netting put back on for a few weeks to discourage the birds.
Never had issues with deer eating them or raccoons though we get plenty of both in the yard.

Nice job! Those look like they would definitely do the trick. I think since my bog is going to be a lot bigger than then I'll probably just put up a chicken wire fence. Hopefully that does the trick?

something like this?
DSC_00330033.jpg

DSC_00350035.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Well that's good news to hear. My bogs will have to be in the ground though otherwise the plants will freeze and die. I'm hoping that doesn't increase the chances of deer and raccoons messing it up. The netting in the spring sounds like a good idea. Is that to prevent the small, tender growth of the emerging Sarrs?

Hi..Where i live we have all of the above mentioned critters roaming around and causing havic. My bogs are in half whisky barrels and pots. the only problems i have are birds going after VFTs newly emerging from dormancy and squirrels hiding acorns in the fall. So each fall the barrels are mulched over the top for winter protection and have netting over them to keep the squirrels from digging. In the spring the netting is taken off, mulch removed and netting put back on for a few weeks to discourage the birds.
Never had issues with deer eating them or raccoons though we get plenty of both in the yard.

Although I'm sure it helps protect the sarrs, my biggest issue was birds tearing up, and apart the vfts. I would see them at the bog, run out like a human scare-crow to find newly emerged vfts torn into pieces. I also grow cranberries but have had no problems with critters, or insects, eating them. By April I can safely take the netting off. Then my only problems are slugs and grasshoppers.

Back