What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your preference?

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Hey everyone, i'm just curious, what's everyone's preference with their planting mediums, peat:perlite, peat:sand, etc.?

I use 1:1 peat/perlite on the bottom 90%, then pure peat on the top 10%. I'll be using the live peat moss for the top from now on.

My current favorite planting medium for most of my CPs is a Peat: Perlite:LFS mix of 1:1:whatever looks about right
wink.gif

My D. capensis seedlings seem to like it, as does the VFT I have in it.

Mine kinda depends on what plant i'm potting up. I use peat, perlite, a little vermiculite, lava rock, sand, orchid bark, sphagnum moss and charcoal in varying mixes. I personally hate perlite...so when I use it, I try to do a top dressing of pure peat.

I have bags of all kinds mixes.

And by the way...I just have to mention....

IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!!! YAY!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Feb. 06 2003,9:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My current favorite planting medium for most of my CPs is a Peat: Perlite:LFS mix of 1:1:whatever looks about right  
wink.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
LFS?

I prefer peat/sand (except for nepenthes), but for some reason I can never find sand around here (or when I can, all the bags are ripped open...) so I'm stuck using peat/perlite.

Vertigo,

LFS = Long Fiber Sphagnum
smile.gif

I am kind of like Suzanne, I use a variety of mixes. Most of my Drosera are in a peat:sand mix, terrestrial Utrics get peat:sand:milled sphag. My Mexi-Pings have a mix made of about 9 different components (overkill I know but I was bored one weekend.) Neps and epiphytic Utrics get custom mixes depending on habitat. My Sarrs are all in LFS. I guess it just depends on my mood
smile.gif

Just lazy I guess, I mix water with my peat moss. I only use anything else when the particular plant fails to perform satisfactorily in my favorite media, peat moss with water. Next favorite option is dead NZ or Chile long fiber Sphagnum and sometimes a little sand with the peat for plants like Drosera indica.

I usually get a small tub of distilled water, and put 3/4 peat moss and 1/4 perilite, then I add a little bit of sphagnum, but not too much.

Then I just kind of mix them together so that the peat, and the sphagnum kind of soaks up a bunch of water, while their being mixed together.

Then I let the soil sit over night usually, and then plant a CP in it.
biggrin.gif

I play a little with soil mixes....
pete/perlite is my #1 for most...BUT
LFS pure is #1 for neps

other experiments are:
pure LFS for 'dews....didn't do as well as the pete/perlite mix...and I keep having to weed out that $#@! grass that grows in LFS.
For two neps I have a pete/perlite/orchidbark/charcol mix of 1:1:1:1.
by the way,
Suzane:
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!!! YAY![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It's snowing here right now....there's 4 inches of new snow on the ground...and the boss won't let us go out and play....
sad.gif

Come on, man, it's FRIDAY!!

I guess I'm kind of lazy too. I use whatever's available. Which is usually Peat, Perlite, and LFS. Although, I do agree with PlantAKiss. Perlite is very distracting, that's why I always try to top dress the soil.

P.S. It's snowing here too. We just got 8".
***********NO SCHOOL***********
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif