What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your most dissapointing cp discovery?

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Sometthing that happened to your plants/ you/ something you found out about your plants

Like i said im rather new and the worst thing thats happened thus far was when my container holding my U. reticulata spring a leak and it dried out.

Last spring I put my fresh out of dormancy VFT's outside and discovered that they had been chewed to bits, right down to the soil surface. Fortunately, the plants weren't dead. 3 weeks later I saw a new leaf emerge. then another .. and another...

Then there's that gentle stream / raging river thing, whereby, my plants were carried out to Wyomissing Creek, never to be found.
mad.gif

That I cannot grow any highland plants except Neps. It is just too hot here and I don't have the cooling capibiblities nezzicary nor do I want to invest in them, yet. SO my last highland plants (D. slackii) are going out today.

So far this year, my "disappointment" was finding that S.flava flowers smell kinda terrible (to me at least)
I always figured they would smell sweet and had never seen any Sarracenia flowers in real life, but when they finally opened I thought they semeeld pretty bad- I can't imagine what a whole stand of them must stink like
biggrin.gif

lol Mabudon.  Actually I thought mine smelled kinda nice...a little piquant but pleasant.  Spicy.

Gee...I have so many disasters its hard to pick one...   One of the biggest disappointments was watching my very first ever Sarracenia flower forming...and watching it grow every day...until it was almost ready to open...and then coming home one day to find a squirrel had snipped it in half.  I could have cried.  That was the only flower I had that year.  THIS year, although my Sarrecenia collection isn't extensive, I had a good number of flowers.  I was quite pleased.  So I followed Brook's pollinating tips and pollinated 5 of them...only to find about a week later that a storm wind snapped the stems on 3 of 5.  Crushed again.  
confused.gif
 Batting 1000 on Sarra flowers...

Another disaster, although not CP related, was seeding my alley garden for cosmos and being delighted to see some germinate.  I watched them grow week after week...watched the flower heads forming...couldn't wait to see them.  And just before the flowers opened, a friend of mine was helping me do some trimming in the yard with his weed-wacker.  I saw him come walking from behind the garage and he said to me "I trimmed down those weeds you had back there."  I said "WHAT weeds??!!! I have some flowers back there."  He said "Aww...I think I can tell the difference between a flower and a weed."  So of course I flew back there and, yep, every cosmos had been mowed down!  I felt sick.  Kinda hard to get mad at someone who was trying to HELP you so I didn't say too much.  I was heartbroken though.  But now its kind of a joke with him about telling the difference between flowers and weeds and his "skill" with a weedwacker.

Plantakiss...never, EVER, let a man have power over a weed-whacker...DH is forbidden to get within 8 feet of it after a bad episode in which he mistook a Kentucky Wisteria for grass.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ June 06 2005,8:55)]Plantakiss...never, EVER, let a man have power over a weed-whacker...DH is forbidden to get within 8 feet of it after a bad episode in which he mistook a Kentucky Wisteria for grass.....
That and the laundy facilities! I can tell you stories...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Plantakiss...never, EVER, let a man have power over a weed-whacker...DH is forbidden to get within 8 feet of it after a bad episode in which he mistook a Kentucky Wisteria for grass.....
It looks like your husband is pretty smart. I bet he didn't want to have to cut down all the weeds so he thought to himself, "How can I get her to never ask me to do this again?" "Oh yeah I'll cut down her precious little flowers"

The most disappointing discovery I have ever made, other than all the poacher holes I've found, was right after I made the most pleasant find, read about in the most pleasnt topic. I found a U.floridana in NC. It had only been found in the state once before in 1972. I took pictures. The most disappointment I had was when I had the pics developed, and the pics of the U.floridana didn't come out. I went back six months later to take more pics and all I found was U.gibba. I have been back many times but I still haven't no luck in finding the U.floridana.

When my grandfather revealed that he had accidentally sprayed my VFTs and Sarrs with ant poison while killing a line of carpenter ants. The effects reverberated for a very long time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That and the laundy facilities! I can tell you stories...
Yep, them laundy facilities...

My Red Dragon VFT went MIA after dormancy this year.

I also lost a D. rotundifolia to mold. Stupid dorm room AC unit
mad.gif

Oh yeah, and when my Dente died during dormancy... *screams out loud*

My most disappointing...why can't I keep the freaking sundews and VFT's alive. Good lord!

Back