What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with my D. callistos?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
In 2004, I visited JBL. He sent me home with 9 species of plants and among them were D. callistos. Last summer they flowered and true to its book picture, the color was orange. For some reason, now only a half year later, they are flowering again and the color is bright yellow.

Why are they flowering now and why yellow?

Okay, upon further review, the call has been overturned by the replay official. Apparently, there are U. SUBULATA in there!!! And for the first time, I actually have that species flower. Pretty flower... wrong plant... wrong place.... wrong, wrong, wrong! In the words of the Saturady Night Live character, "Never mind".
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

Actually, Jim, the yellow flowers are a signal that you need to give them to me. If you don't, NO TELLING WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!!!! You just might learn to make darlingtonia thrive! WHAT NEXT!!!

Jimscott! Please stop licking the plant nectar!! Ooooohhh, Awwwww, see the pretty, pretty color changing flowers man!
smile_m_32.gif

Joe! Take it easy man!! You just got dosed by s. flava nectar. Be cool! We are going to let this d. capensis digest your face 'til you come down, man!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Mar. 01 2006,8:45)]Actually, Jim, the yellow flowers are a signal that you need to give them to me. If you don't, NO TELLING WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!!!! You just might learn to make darlingtonia thrive! WHAT NEXT!!!
You can have the yellow flowers and the plants they came with! Darn subulata accompanied every terrestrial Utric I received in the summer of '04! Brooks was right, "You probably have it and don't know it." Last year the plants produced numerous stalks and no flowers. At least I got flowers this year.

subulata are very pretty flowers and I don't believe they are as bad as their reputation makes them out to be. By the time they are thick enough to be crowding out plants it is time to repot anyway. I think they make a very pretty addition to any collection. The only time they can really be a problem is if you have a thing about keeping your utrics pure and in their own seperate pots, once mixed with other utrics it is near impossible to seperate them.

Doubly worse, is that's either them or the root sensitive pigmy dews!
confused.gif

Agh! I keep finding subulata among some plants I got in a trade when I got started last year... Somehow, I managed to get a clean culture of the other Utric that it's mixed up with by SarraceniaScott's method of taking just a few individual strands. (Scott? Is that right? Who am I thinking of? Maybe rattler? I'm such a space case.) But that was before I knew the subulata was in there with the other one. Now that I know it's there, I can't seem to stop it.
~Joe

Back