What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the most interesting cp

Up until recently I've seen large Nepenthes, Darlingtonia, and Sarracenia for sale in DIY stores and garden centres, but I never thought I'd see the day they start selling Drosera paradoxa to the general public at a steal (by that I mean cheaper than the D. aliciae they had):

445D_paradoxa.JPG

The plant is about 4" across and doing very well on my windowsill terrarium. I bought it during my lunch break at work (garden centre).
Anyone else encounter anything quite as remarkable?

Amori

no way! where did you find it!?!?!

Frosts Garden Centre Woburn Sands, UK. Like all the other CP the indoor sales department stock, I think this fellow originates from Holland, from the same nursery (which I still haven't found out but can take a few educated guesses).

Lucky you!  I'm impressed.  
smile.gif
  The most interesting thing I have ever come across was just a week or so ago.  I was looking for a cobra lily at Lowes and much to my surprise, the cobras in the big plastic cubes were HUGE and I found one with a flower scape!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I snapped that up!  I photographed the bud and was very surprised to see it opened yesterday.  I will be photographing that baby tonite!  Its very pretty!

I would never have expected to find a flowering darlingtonia at Lowes.  But that paradoxa waaaaaaaaaaaaay beats that.  
smile.gif

Wow. We never have anything interesting around here. The best I've found is an ill looking rubra and a light starved leucophylla. S.x stevensii is a nice looking very common hybrid but I had to buy it at and open day because no garden centre in NW England seems to have it!

Wow that is beautiful! The best thing I have ever found was a Purpurea ssp. or something like that. I am not counting Fredrik Miejer Gardens.

A plain ol' VFT.
laugh.gif
And I was lucky to find that around here.

I got a S. purpurea 'Brunswick Beauty' at a small local nursery. It had accurate directions and everything. There's some supplier somewhere that knows what they're doing.

I'm not huge into Sarrs, but this one is definitely worth having.

My hardware stores or don't have CP's,it sucks! *Niki*
smile_h_32.gif

Here is a list of species I have come across just this Spring while at local nurserys and hardware stores.

D. muscipula
N. X ventrata
Unknown Nepenthes hybrid
Unknown Nepenthes hybrid #2
D. capensis
D. binata
D. adelae
D. spatulata
P. primulflora
P. 'Titan'
D. californica
S. purpurea
S. purpurea 'Brunswick Beauty'
S. rubra
S. 'Dixie Lace'
S. 'Scarlett Belle' I think that's what it was called
And one other popular Sara. cultivar, I can't remember the name right now.

Nothing really spectacular, but still a fairly large variety for a town of 120,000 in Northern Colorado.

I am SOOO jealous!!

Me too!!!!!! Who ever heard of a gourmet CP being sold in a retail store? What size pot is that and how tall is that plant? Mine are very red and happy, a year old, but only an inch tall, with no inclination to flower.
smile_h_32.gif

The plant pictured is about 5" across and 2.5" tall. The flower stalk is creeping up to 5" tall now, with another following. The plant is in the usual 3" pot, in a [surprisingly] clean peat substrate, sitting in shallow water. I'm getting ready to propagate this fellow in the near future so's I have more plants to stare at and trade.

How old are they? Mine is almost a year old and I am about to take more plant pics, including this one. Is yours indoors?

I found a stash of Dente VFTs in a Viera WalMart last year... I had one going strong for several months, but fungus took it down over dormancy. There's also a rack of massive 4''+ pitchered N. ventricosa at our WalMart.

The best I found were:
S. alata (different var.)
VFT 'Red Dragon'
N. alata and miranda (huge)
D. spatulata 'Fraiser Island'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 19 2005,9:28)]How old are they? Mine is almost a year old and I am about to take more plant pics, including this one. Is yours indoors?
Hmmm... As to what age they may be... I have no clue whatsoever. All I know is they grew quite rapidly from 2" across onwards (they have much smaller dead leaves, and at the rate the plant is growing right now... you get the idea). TC comes into mind when I look at this feature.
This plant is growing [surprisingly] rapidly, faster than my Drosera slackii, might I add.
This is a day in the life of this plant: It sits with my other dews and Cephalotus in an unheated propagator on an east-facing windowsill, in my room. When the sun shines, the temps inside the enclosures can reach ~95F from around 9am to midday. The rest of the day is relatively bright warm. If it's enough to seriously redden my Ceph and other plants, I take it as a sign of sufficient light. Night temps fall into the 60s and 50s, cool room temperatures, basically, to keep the highland Neps happy.

Amori

Hi Amori,

My guess is that you have an older plant than mine. Although my growing conditions are different than yours, I'm not sure those differences are why mine haven't flowered yet. Mine were started from seed last spring. They are currently at the lab, at a SW facing window sill, open tray. The day/night temps probably vary a good 20 degrees. The tenatacles are quite dewy and red. Just no evidence of wanting to flower.... yet. Are the flower stalks actually white, or as it the way the pic comes out. Does yours have stipule-looking growth at the center?

Hi Jimscott,

I'd have preferred seed started plants myself but they didn't fare well for me. So I'm actually a little jealous of you there! The flower stalk and the petioles look white in that pic I took because of the indumentum reflecting the flash. I should be able to tell if it's the pink flowered or white flowered form within the next 2 weeks.
Indeed, there is stipule-looking growth in the centre of the
plant.

Amori

Oh I forgot. The best CP I ever found was in Lowes. It was a S. rubra ssp. jonseii. I found the suppliers and they confirmed thats what it was. Never crossed state lines though so you can only get them in Florida.

Back