What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best way to get a nepenthes to flower?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I have a couple of neps and I wouldn't mind doing some crossing and for that I need flowers. What's the best of getting a nep to flower?
Thanks.

I was told by a local grower that placing a Nepenthes under entirely blue LEDs will force a flower spike and that he does this regularly to discover the gender of new plants.

Of course, only attempt this on healthy plants.

I was told by a local grower that placing a Nepenthes under entirely blue LEDs will force a flower spike and that he does this regularly to discover the gender of new plants.

Of course, only attempt this on healthy plants.

Would plant's maturity also be a factor, Nim?

I flowered one of Paul Barden's nep crosses in 2.5 years, from seed. No artificial lighting, lowland temps year-round. There aren't any secrets or goofy tricks IME, just making sure your plants are growing as optimally as possible.

Good growing conditions in general will create maturity faster. Start with the basics--adequate light, stable temps, quality media. Then fuss about the more nuanced but equally important things, like nutrition and photoperiod. Starving a plant of P or Ca, for example, can often prevent blooming.

Last edited:
Would plant's maturity also be a factor, Nim?

I'm sure it does, but I don't know any details about the process. I'll have to ask him about it if I see him again.

It has always been a function of age and the health of the plants in question. In my experience, many Nepenthes species, grown from seed, have taken a minimum of four to five years to flower; and, with horticultural or natural hybrids, about half that time, under optimal conditions . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers. What's the difference between a male flower and a female flower?

When the flower stalk comes out, the male flower's inflorescence will be very round and will have pollen. The female's inflorescence will be much more ovalish.

GREAT!!... What's an inflorescence?

Last edited:
Inflorescence usually refers to the part of the flower that actually does the "magic".

Ok, now I can tell the difference. Now to provide optimal conditions for an extended amount of time. Thanks.

Ok, now I can tell the difference. Now to provide optimal conditions for an extended amount of time. Thanks.

Here is a female inflorescence, from a previous season . . .

Nepenthes sp.

The inflorescence is the scientific term for "flower stalk;" basically, it's the entire thing. I would recommend just being patient, as while it can take some time for some Nepenthes to flower (and some are more reluctant than others), once they do you can be more sure that it's because of good health and not stress.

So, basically, just put it under good conditions and hope for the best. :)

I have three pots with 'rebecca soper' outside year round and they flower each spring. When one of the stems grow a flower stalk the other two plants do the same a few days or weeks later (last year counted 7 flower stalks, each plant had several stems).

So I assume temps/photoperiod/light intensity has something to do with it...

Every Nepenthes tends to be a little different, and they all react to different cues; some just like to flower whenever on the other hand. But it's most likely that yes, the common signals like light intensity and photoperiod, temp etc. will be important, especially for the species that do not live right along the equator like both ventricosa and ramispina as in 'Rebecca Soper''s parentage.

Back