What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's next?

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
I've been growing CP for a few years now, but I've had to keep my numbers limited- until now.  So, I'm turning to you guys now to give me some suggestions for what to grow next, CP you've had good experience with growing, or ones you just think are cool.  I live in California, 2 minutes from the ocean, so I get plenty of sunshine, and plenty of fog, but I'm open to using growlights.  My only constraint is that you please not suggest plants so hard to grow that I would come to suspect of being the anti-christ
biggrin.gif
.   Thanks a lot in advance, I've been lurking this forum for months but I'm glad to have finally joined.  If you need any more information, I'd be oblidged to supply.  
smile.gif

-Est

welcome!

First off, where in california are you? I'm in monterey county...

I would go with nepenthes albomargiana, nepenthes sanguinea, nepenthes rhombucaulis, drosera capensis, drosera slakii, pinguicula esseriana, pinguicula morensis, pinguicula sethos, and utricularia livida, just to name a few
biggrin.gif

Spec is right. Coastal California is good for a huge variety of cps. Outdoors you can grow Sarracenia of all sorts, vfts, terrestrial utricularia, and most of the temperate and semitropical drosera. Indoors, under cheap fluorescent grow lights, you can grow most any hardy nepenthes, and almost any drosera. I love the nepenthes, personally, and grow lots of them here in San Francisco.

Capslock

Est

Welcome...glad you came out of the Lurkers Fog.
smile.gif
I say go crazy and expand into everything. You will anyway. The more space you have, the more plants you get. Even when you DON'T have any space...you get more plants.
biggrin.gif

I'm a drosera fan so I recommend any of them...but I love all my CPs. Each are fascinating in their own way.

Good luck, join in and have fun.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Spec, Monterey is about an hours drive from here, I'm living in Aptos, but the nearest noteable place would be Santa Cruz, ever been here?. Well, thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone, I'm look in to them right now
smile.gif

Well Spec, I suppose you're right, Monterey is more like a half hour or 45 minutes from here (I can actually see it from the beach), I have poor geography skills
sad.gif
. Thank you for pointing out that website to me, I'd sure love to attend one some time. It doesn't matter that I'm a young'un does it? I don't see why it would, but I could see that some people wouldn't want 15 year olds all over the place.

nope, age doesnt matter, I'm 14 and I'm an officer of the BACPS
biggrin.gif
They like young'uns

EST,
Welcome aboard. Don't fret about being a young'un. All we care about is that you're eager to learn (well, and polite, LOL). My personal opinion is that if you think you might want to expand into neps, start with a N. ventricosa or N x 'Ventrata'. They're very satisfactory plants with a great look. The bonus is that they're very forgiving, so you can refine you cultivation skills on them without worrying if they'll recover from your latest mix up (oops, the pot fell off the railing, forgot to water them today, that sort of thing).

i forget which member now but they responded to one of my posts a couple weeks ago has Nepenthes 'Rokko' that is growing in basically household conditions. mine is in a lowland/intermetate tank and is doing fine. N. 'Miranda' is doing wonderful for me with minimal care and has outstandig pitchers. if i could just figure out how to stablize temps i would give some of the easier highland Neps a try. for now its lowlands and hybrid neps, Drosera and Utrics.

Alright, thanks for the suggestions everybody! Now, to put my wallet to work...
tounge.gif
I'm testing right now to see what I can grow outdoors alone, I'll see if I can build a mini-bog outside *covulses with joy*
tounge.gif
Thanks again, all.

Back