What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's going with all this leaf deformity?? Is it too much?

Soooo I've seen at least one deformed leafs on most of my collection, is that normal? 

Some of them have tons where some have one. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or this is just inevitable. Thanks everyone!

This two plants both have one deformed leaf.
IMG_1651_zpstufueduc.jpg

IMG_1646_zpsjsji9mnf.jpg

This plant has TONS
IMG_1650_zpsxm7lipz6.jpg
IMG_1647_zpszmvsl8lo.jpg
IMG_1660_zpsgtwzczgh.jpg

IMG_1648_zps0vwmvobw.jpg

IMG_1649_zpsh3tmlk0y.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some....interesting shapes, lol.

Every year I've dealt with deformed Sarr leaves, and both times I could attribute it to thrips. I'm not sure that's what you've got going on though. Wouldn't hurt to douse them with a coat of Neem oil, though, or if it's available to you, Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, which has Spinosad, a bacterium found in the cellar of an abandoned rum factory (I mean...how could you NOT use that?).

In all seriousness, both seem to perform equally well for me, except the Captain Jack's doesn't reek to high heaven like Neem oil.

Will Bayers Advanced work on thrips? here are the ingredient Actives: 0.0015% β-Cyfluthrin; 0.012% Imidacloprid(Ready-to-use); 0.0125% β-Cyfluthrin; 0.025% Imidacloprid.

Thank you so much for replying!!

Bayer's is a discarded Cold War chemical-warfare weapon. It kills everything.

(Yes, I'm pretty sure it works on thrips)

It also works on honeybees and other beneficial insects, which is the only real reason I don't use it myself. However, I can't give any advice on it's dilution ratios.. I know others have, with some success, but I don't know whether they used the exact instructions on the container or not, sorry.

Last edited:
I see the occasional deformed leaf, but not too many. Systemic pesticides, like imidacloprid are, as mentioned, indiscriminate in the insects they kill. If your plants aren't outside, and won't go outside anytime soon, they are fine, but if they live outside, I too cast a vote for no systemics. Something topical, that will only target the munching insects causing the damage.

so from now on i should just switch to Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew?

I only suggested that or Neem oil as a preventative measure. It's often helpful to identify the problem first so that you can more accurately target the solution. While your leaves look -similar- to mine that have suffered thrip damage, there seems to be a common, shared look that yours don't have. Yours show a pretty wide range of deformity from one plant to another, so it may be something else entirely that a topical treatment may not help.

Best to investigate. Look especially around the rhizome, or dig into the soil a little and make sure nothing is disturbing the roots. Also check in on them several times a day if possible and see if a particular kind of pest is paying your plants visits during it's rounds.

IMG_1647_zpszmvsl8lo.jpg

Holy cow thats an awesome pitcher. Cut it off and preserve it! :-O

Back