What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do?

I have been staring at this vine for too long!
Those of you with mature hamata...what would you do???
leave it alone? Cut off each growth point, and plant em? Or cut the whole thing up, plant each piece, and start over with the basal shoot?
ham-vine.jpg

thank you,
Robin
smile.gif

Easy! Cut the thing down and trade them to people who don't have one!  
smile_n_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif
And restart from the beginning. Jk I don't know, up to you.

I would make some nice sized cuttings and when they root. Trade them to people that have plants that you want.
By the way this post doesn't have alternative motives... I'm not to fond of hamata and I grow mostly lowlanders... lol

It also depends whether you want to flower it. If you do, then you'll need to let it keep growing. If not, feel free to chop them main vine into single node cuttings. Luckily, hamata grows from cuttings, unlike aristo which has failed repeatedly.

BTW, your hamata does not look at all healthy, those leaves look like they are burnt, dried out or subject to a pathogen of some sort.

I wouldn't frett those upper leaves - just looks like "sunburn" to me. The leaves of my hamata which are stuffed against the lid glass and just below it always color that way.

I see yours makes basal shoots at the soil level! Mine only makes shoots off the main stem, I see yours does too but they haven't elongated like mine-each internode is a new vine starting with lowers for 6-8 pitchers or so then they start to make intermediates but never an upper or flower yet!
smile_h_32.gif

how did you get all the leaves to grow on one side like that? that's cool.

Hehe! I thought you guys might say something like that
smile_m_32.gif
 Sorry, I'm keeping these.
Yeah, I guess I'll leave the vine intact for flowers. This is my best hamata, teeth wise.  I have several, but none with teeth as big as this one yet, and I would like to propagate it. I know the leaves look bad... It was growing up against the top of my old grow chamber and got burned. It was bent at 90 degrees. Thus the leaves all on one side, and thus the need for a new, taller chamber, hence the shock, and my prolonged staring! As far as a pathogen, I'm not sure. Anyone else want to weigh in on that?

Swords, I feel your pain brother! That's odd that your shoots put off lowers?. I guess that spoils my plans to cut off a shoot or 2  to get upper pitchers with a small plant. Hmm, I may try one anyway.

Hey SydneyNeps,
You have been unsuccessful with rooting arisolochioides, eh? Hmm. Well, mine is a long way from vining...maybe in another year or so (or more!), but I was planning on try it out....Maybe I should just let it go.

Not just me, about 5 other growers I know who've tried it. One of those species that simply resists. The only other plant I know of that won't grow from cuttings is x trusmadiensis. Given that lowii will grow from cuttings, it must be from the macrophylla side.

I'd wait for it to flower to determine the gender myself. Once it flowers then chop it back for a nice bushy growth.

You know you can still cut it down to one of those growing nodes. This way you get both of your wishes, chances of getting a flower and some extra plants.

i like to clip the very tip off of my vines, then let the shoots growing at the nodes grow untill they are big enough to pot up.

Nice big hamata!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Personally I would let it keep going if I had the room. And then when that basal shoot gets "viney" chop that one back. But thats just quircky me:)

Back