What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type?

Hi! Thought I'd pop into the pitcher place as I haven't done so for a while.

It occured to me recently that while I do not have room for 2 foot tall plants inside, I surtainly have space outside. I live in Michigan and I would like a plant that can live outside here. I'd like a big one and if it has to go in an outdoor building durning winter that is fine, but I do need a plant that goes dorment (I dought my mom wants a fly filled tube inside all winter,lol) Now I know that a lot of these plants go dorment but I really don't know enough to choose one that meets my needs. Does anyone have a sugestion?
Short recap:
Relatively larg
Good insect ketcher
Can live outside in Michigan
Has dorment phase

Thanks everyone
smile.gif
(I live on a farm so fly controle in nice and gives me a reson to get more plants, lol)

Hi,
I have a cabin in Kalamazoo. Anyways, purpurea purpurea are native to Michigan, I also think that a few forms of flava may live there. But I am positive that purpurea purpurea live in Michigan. Hope it helps,
Kevin

Yes, S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is native to MI. However, it is definitely not the largest pitcher plant. When it comes down to it, all Sarracenia thrive in pretty much the same conditions and all need a dormant period. Therefore, you could grow any Sarracenia in MI, provided you protected it in winter. That being said, I think the Sarracenia that best fits your wishes would be S. leucophylla, as it is the second tallest species, probably the prettiest (if you don't count hybrids), and is a known glutton. You could look into hybrids too, as they are grown just the same. Hybrids between leucophylla and other upright spp. (such as flava or rubra) would work just as well.

Ah, yes, I the purples are cute little ones. Thanks for the info on the big guy, I'll go research it, thanks
smile.gif

Back