What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of sundew do i have?

well i can't take a picture because i need to get my computer fixed - but i bought a cube type this from Lowes which had a sundew-flytrap-some kind of real tall pitchers with lids on the top of the traps. anyhow- i need to find out what type of sundew i have- where is a place i can find pictures of alot of different types? my is kinda weedy looking with leaves being about a 1" -1"1/2 long - but like i said kind legie and weedy looking- lol lol . thanks

Sounds a little like a Sarracenia (sp?) to me actually. I'm having trouble visualizing from the details you gave though. I've found that if you go to Google and just type in "Drosera" or "Sarracenia" you can get pictures of a lot of the different variants. That's how I decided what kind of Sundew to get originally. Post a pic when you can and we'll try to help. Best of luck!
smile.gif

The sundews I've purchased at Lowes where D. adelae. If you decide to seperate the plants, take some root cuttings from the D. adelae. My one plant has become four pots full of this plant.

For pictures, try this site http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Moving to Identify that plant forum. You may have better luck there
smile.gif

Cole

D adelea is what my sundew must be - still doesn't look exactly the same. but now my question is do i need to put it in dormancy when the time comes -to put vft's and pitchers asleep? thanks guys

D. adelae does not require dormancy. I grow mine in a terrarium and it grows like a weed.

Have fun with your new plants.

Oh yeah, try to keep the D. adelae above 40 degrees F. You will need to seperate it from the others before you put the others to bed for the winter.

thanks glenn - man it will be scary repotting them, all three plants are growing into each other......
sad.gif

If you are careful you should be OK. Your plants will look like crap for a while afterwards. Remember that any roots from the D. adelae that break or need to be cut can be repoted to form new plants. I would be most worried about the vft, I just don't do very well with them.

ok thanks for the reassurance might take a stab at it saturday
sad.gif

Hi Jeff,

One more thing. I planted my D. adelae in pure LFS. I started with one plant from lowes, took root cuttings and in less than a year I had four pots full. Here are some pictures of one of the pots.

Ad1.jpg

Ad2.jpg

hey Glen - they are growing like weeds in that one pot- lol - nice plants. i will just repot the sundew like i said and leave the flytrap and the pitcher alone. they are no were as full in the cube as your sundews, so i'm sure i will know when its there time to be repotted.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jeffsz28 @ Aug. 07 2003,10:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">they are no were as full in the cube as your sundews[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh, don't worry about it. When I got my first adelae, from Lowe's, it was tiny (less than an inch wide) and unhealthy. But within a week, it was extremely healthy and all over the place! Still is! Ah, I'm a miracle worker.
wink.gif

Back