What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with my life?

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
im glad you guys cant be (or at least act like ) this is so easy.

So what are you going to do with the rest of youre life, Oh i dont know ill figure it out...

Isn't that true. I've spent many a time wondering about my future and thank 'Science' that I think that I have my job set up for the future

Heh... yeah I'm actually learning some things from this thread. I've been uber worried about what I want to do as a career and I felt that if I picked the wrong thing I'd be screwed for life or just waste time trying to get it back on track after a career switch. I'd like to make the right choice.

Pyro, just try thinking of what will make you the most happy in the long run, that's what people have been telling me lately, but I know it's not THAT easy. It's hard telling what will make yah happy since you can't predict the future. That's really all the "advice" I have for you. I tried. :p

Good luck.

I've always wanted to be a Dr. ever since I was a kid, and now that i've ingrained that goal into myself I feel as if I don't become one i will have failed (at the very least, myself).

I would be ok with it if I can't handle the pressure and the death, but If I just can't get there I will have feel as if i would have failed. I could always be a vet I guess. Hey i'd still be a Dr. but I wouldn't have to deal with the pressure if telling people they are going to die and I wouldn't have to beat myself up over a person I couldn't save.

I dunno... I'm 17. I'll be going to college in about a year. I'm scared lol. I guess that's normal. I like stability and my whole life is going to be turned upside down.

I'm great at chemistry and biology... but my weak point is mathematics. I just passed my final exam with an 80. I dunno... I'm afraid my weak point will be my downfall. I've always been in honors classes for all of my primary courses except for math. I've always been in the "discovery" program for the top students and i dunno.... Maybe i'm worrying over nothing and I won't need to know complex algebra to diagnose and write scripts. I dunno...

One thing I never want to do is work in an ER or do surgery unless I have to. I dont think I can handle the pressure. I just want to be a "family" doctor if those even exist anymore. Just a GP.

Lol, this is like therapy lol

Heh... yeah I'm actually learning some things from this thread. I've been uber worried about what I want to do as a career and I felt that if I picked the wrong thing I'd be screwed for life or just waste time trying to get it back on track after a career switch. I'd like to make the right choice.
I agree w/ Bruce. When you try to make "the most important decision in your life" or "the decision that is forever" - you'll almost never be able to make it. How the heck can you predict what will make you happy in 10, 20 or 30 years when alot of us struggle with what we're going to do next month?

I'm not recommending you approach the choice flippantly. Obviously you want to choose something that makes you want to get up in the morning and apply yourself enough to be successful. However, know in the back of your mind that you have the option to change your mind if it doesn't work out.

Whatever you do, give it all you've got.
There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
--- James Allen Hightower

Which would you like to do?

1) Research
2) Make a whole mess of money
3) Deal with people

BTW, congrats!

Jim,

1) Yes
2) That would be nice but not necessary. Anything more than my meager stipend looks good right now
3) As little as possible

All great responses so far me thinks. A couple more thoughts for you to toss about in your decision process.

1) Bills really could care less how much you like your job, they WILL be paid one way or another.

2) Your just a number in large companies, however the benefits and salary seem to be better than smaller ones. The days of loyalty to the company are long gone since they are no longer loyal to the employee. (There are degrees of this concept so take it with a grain of salt)

3) Doing something you love for yourself gives you ulitmate control of your future.

4) If you can manage to keep the bills in check early, the easier it becomes to live on less later. Living on less means there are alot more choices in jobs that you might find satisfying.

5) Ron has it right, in 10,20 or 30 years you'll be thinking completely different, priorities change in the blink of an eye. Don't sweat it, if you do you'll never be happy !!

Sounds like continued research is what you like best... "science for science sake".

Back