What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to buy?

schloaty

Staff member
'K folks, I am torn. I just received rather nice (and unexpected) b-day gift from Father-of-the-deep-pockets! Well, half goes straight to my wife, if I know what's good for me
wink.gif
, but the other half is MINEALLMINE!
-- SO --
I can't decide between buying one or two more expensive (and of cource rarer) plants (like a highland truncata or Cantley's red var tricolor), or buying a whole mess of more common plants to really build my collection.

What would you do?
confused.gif

I'd buy the good stuff. You can build the rest of your collection through propagation and trading. It's not likely, however, for you to find someone to trade a Cantley's tricolor for all that capensis seed!

Capslock

You have a proper set-up for the more expensive plants? Some of those are hard to take care for that is why they are expensive.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't decide between buying one or two more expensive (and of cource rarer) plants (like a highland truncata or Cantley's red var tricolor), or buying a whole mess of more common plants to really build my collection.  
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I have not done much research on truncata or Cantley's so they may be ezier to take care of.
confused.gif
I thought I would give you something to think about...

Travis

Travis,
That's very true. Actually, that's one of the reasons I kinda WANT to get a more expensive one....I've got over a year under my belt now, so I need to try something a little more difficult than gracilis and capensis!! LOL.
I kinda figure the cantley's red var tricolor won't be too difficult, as I have a regular amp that's growing just fine (albeit a little slowly, but nice and healthy). Also, if the highland truncata is remotely similar to the lowland form, then it should be a pretty hardy plant, too. Notice I didn't mention ephipiata (sp?) or macrophylla? I don't have the proper set up for an ultra-highland species (yet).

@ Capslock: You're absolutely right!

Then it's decided! I will go for the good stuff! Now, time to do some research!
wink.gif

Just FYI... you may wanna save a few bucks
wink.gif

We are going to sell off a piece of the private collection here... because we're moving.

In about a week, I think.

Phil

A week, eh? Well, I get back from Italy on the 23rd (leaving on the 16th)....so I'll be functioning again on the 24th....If there's any stock left I'll definately have $$ for it.

So maybe Phil could start the sale sooner! LOL!
wink.gif
So that you would be able to spend tons of money on his collection that is.

Oh, and Schloaty, my advice would be to get 1 rare plant and half a mess of less expensive plants. That way you would have a happy medium of expensive and non-expensive plants and something to experiment with while you waited for the expensive one to grow!

Back