What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the? Plant sensory?

• Thread starter NeciFiX
  • Start date
That would have to make sense. Just like the yellow and purple combo in my room with the itty bits of pink and the black and yellow happy bumblebees pushing lawnmowers, the happy sunshine, and the little fences with the sheep that was here when I moved into my new house.

D: Really? Funny because I was just talking with some people about this VERY episode about 3 hours ago and how bad the results were. lol The plants stopped getting water after such a short period of time that the side of the cotyledons/seed probably had WAY too much of an effect. I would take the results from this one with a boulder of salt.

We are talking about the one where the water timer breaks so all the plants dry out, right?

lol I apparently know the mythbusters a little too well. :p Great show, lots of fun and has some good science, but every now and again they make a major, obvious SNAFU. Remember to think critically always. :)

Trust me, I think critically. Just ask my boss. He'd say I NEVER think experiments are going well. :-))

The water problem didn't occur until after the peas had grown for almost 2 months. They were far beyond the seed stage. Also, the drought affected all the plants equally. Granted this wasn't the original intention of the experiment, but if you changed the experiment to "How does being grown in the presence of music affect peas' ability to tolerate the stress of drought?", it's valid. The only variable (other than positions on the rooftop, which seems negligable since it looked like all the greenhouses were in VFT-worthy full sun) is music.

They acknowledged that their sample size was too small to draw any conclusions, and they didn't show their data so who knows what statistical analysis they did, but other groups have had interesting results with similar experiments: http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/reprint/53/4/641.pdf There's another one, by Cambridge University I believe, that I can't seem to find. I think they used Led Zeppelin as their rock music and an act from Shakespeare's Hamlet as a neutral speaking voice (neither insulting nor praising the plants.) They think maybe the vibrations from the rock/metal music helped keep the soil loose around the roots.

It was interesting at any rate. I'm gonna try it some day! because I'm a nerd!

Thanks Presto from getting us away from bestiality.

Trust me, I think critically. Just ask my boss. He'd say I NEVER think experiments are going well.

The water problem didn't occur until after the peas had grown for almost 2 months. They were far beyond the seed stage. Also, the drought affected all the plants equally. Granted this wasn't the original intention of the experiment, but if you changed the experiment to "How does being grown in the presence of music affect peas' ability to tolerate the stress of drought?", it's valid. The only variable (other than positions on the rooftop, which seems negligable since it looked like all the greenhouses were in VFT-worthy full sun) is music.

They acknowledged that their sample size was too small to draw any conclusions, and they didn't show their data so who knows what statistical analysis they did, but other groups have had interesting results with similar experiments: http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/reprint/53/4/641.pdf There's another one, by Cambridge University I believe, that I can't seem to find. I think they used Led Zeppelin as their rock music and an act from Shakespeare's Hamlet as a neutral speaking voice (neither insulting nor praising the plants.) They think maybe the vibrations from the rock/metal music helped keep the soil loose around the roots.

It was interesting at any rate. I'm gonna try it some day! because I'm a nerd!

Of course, I didn't mean you specifically. I just know too many people who think that because they saw it on Mythbusters it's the end-all be-all, so I thought I'd throw the advisory out for the general public. lol

I, too, find the subject interesting, but I was a little disappointed with the mythbusters on this one. Not one of their finer moment. Thanks for the link to a real study, I'll be sure to check it out! :)

As for the off-topic stuff going on:
*Original Poster: has your question been answered?
*If going off-topic has some direction and the original question has been answered (as I think it has here,) I don't have a problem with it. However, random jarble is not an appropriate tangent so real it in a bit, eh?

Back