What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What sundew is this?

I was just wondering if anyone knew what sundew this is.  They are all over my Sarracenia pots and I never planted them or anything, just wondering what they are, for curiousity's sake.  They must be cold-hardy, as they've survived winter freezes, and prolific, as I scattered a bunch of their seeds last year in one pot, and now I have dozens of tiny seedlings coming up, about 1/3 cm across.  I can't remember flower color from last year, I think white though.  I was just hoping someone could tell from the pic, because I don't have much of an interest in sundews (sorry) and I had a hard time comparing to pics in books and on the web.  Oh, and sorry for the fuzzy pic, my digital camera is terrible at closeups.

sundew1b.jpg

I've seen those sundews before. They grow down at a pond behind behind my house, and have lasted for three years and they grow wild. I don't know type they are, but they are pretty hardy.

I'm pretty lowsy at IDing sundew though.
sad.gif

Is that a pic of the mature ones? How big are they?

Compare yours to these and tell me what you think. These are D. rotundifolia.
Drosera%20rotundifolia%2092ZS00106%20b.jpg

My other guess is D. capillaris but I can't get a decent picture.

Sarracenia,
The sundew you have is D. cappilaris. Its a temperate species that is capable of taking cooler temperatures for short periods of time. The petiole is too short to be Rotundifolia, but the leafblade itself is almost circular wich is a good distinguishing feature for Cappilaris. Spatulata and Natalensis have a more oval leafblade.

Statik,
That Rotundifolia pic is great and its PERFECT size for my wallpaper!
biggrin.gif

I agree, it is the short arm form of capillaris. Statiks photo is rotundifolia. Note how the rotundifolia lamina is broader than long: capillaris short arm form has almost round lamina in comparison. Another way to tell them apart is the petiole of rotundifolia has hairs on it. Capillaris is glabarous (no hairs).

Back