What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What soil mix would you recomend for mixed plants

i have a mix of sand shpagnum peat moss and lfs what would and i have mostly droserias and utrics would that work for like vft's pitcherplans and neps

The standard mix for most CPs (i.e. Sundews, Venus Flytraps, and American Pitcher Plants, Bladderworts) is half peat/half perlite. As for Asian Pitcher Plants, adding some sphagnum moss to the mix is good because they need the extra drainage. Does that answer your question at all?

The combonation you have is a good general mix. However, the more people you ask, the more combinations you will get. For Neps, it is slightly different. Some people use all LFS. Some mix peat, perlite, and LFS, and or add orchid bark. A few of us add pine needles on top. You can't go too far wrong with sand, peat, and LFS. Rinse all media before using, though.

I use lfs for every carnivorous plant.

what hapens if you dont rinse youre media??? alss i did was mix it with water in a peat pot

One never knows what is in there. Ther could be metallic salts or fertilizers, such has been claimed for those who have used Scotts brand. Also, the more nutrients, the more likely there will be algae to grow.

I personally don't rinse my components (except for sand and orchid bark) and have had no serious issues with my plants.  However, more experienced growers on this board advocate rinsing: read the pertinent topic in the "carnivorous plant articles" forum written by Tamlin Dawnstar (posted by plantakiss).  Rinsing removes many fine particles and water-soluable minerals/salts from the soil medium.

Back