What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What plants to use?

I am putting a creature in my terrarium, and he needs 28-88 degrees durring the day, nothing higher, 12 hours of daylight, and mid to high 70's at night, with  high humidity. What plants would be good for this? it is a very big terrarium, 70 gallon square, so i will need a lot of plants. It will also have a waterfall/stream/pond at the bottom.

I know i want a lot of moss, and some water plants for my little fish to hide in. And not too many cps - i have a different tank planned for those. Maybe just a few different pitcher plants and one or two sundews of the same species.

May I ask what sort of creature you are putting in there?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Will it have the capability of crushing a delicate CP with its feet? American pitcher plants really prefer to be outside, but Asian ones - Nepenthes do well indoors and many do well in higher humidity and won't be crushed as easily as many sundews.

Just a few Flying Geckos - they are really small, about the size of a finger without their tails. They wouldnt crush anything - too light. They mostly just hide in foliage all day and come out to find their crickets or mealworms. And, if the cp's wouldnt do as well in there, i dont need any at all.

Will this terrarium be totally closed off with glass or will you have a screen on top. CP's, in general, need exposure to the air / air circulation or they become prone to mold. Flying geckos.... That's Tokay with me!
smile_m_32.gif

It wont be totally closed off. It will have some screening at the top. I dont think i will have to worry about the humidity excaping, because i am putting a terra fogger by the pond. That should keep it up.

As long as there is water in the tank and a way of circulating it, there ought to be adequate humidity. It's kinda like folks that have the old radiators in their apartments and place a bowl of water on top.

What do you think the best type of plant would be?

I think that the so-called Lowland Nepenthes (tropical pitcher plants) are a good choice. Do you have a copy of the book called Savage Garden? That would be a useful resource for names of these kind of plants.

I dont yet have that book. in this tank, i was going more for Bromeliads, Ferns, Calathea, Ivy and Orchids, along with lots of moss. I dont think i will place any cp's in with them.

Back