What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes....

glider14

Always a newbie
Does anybody know the parents of Phal. 'Little Mary'. another question......What makes a Miniature Phal. a miniature? Phal 'Little Mary' is pretty small with flowers less than 2 in and leaves are qutie small(only about 3-5 inches). does anybody know?
thanks
alex

The Royal Horticultural Society says this about the parents: http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registerpages/orchiddetails.asp?ID=66540. You'll have to do another grex search to learn the parents of the hybrid parent. There was another "Little Mary" too, but with a third word.

As for what makes a miniature miniature, some species are small. My Phalaenopsis pallens var. denticulata has ~1" blooms and I don't think the leaves reach 4". It wouldn't catch anyone's attention at Home Depot, but it's one of my favorite orchids.

The Phal. equestris is a small plant with lots of pretty flowers on branched inflorescences.

The other parent in Phal. Little Mary is Phal Mary Tuazon. Which is Phal Reshana x Steven Ai
Phal Reshana is Mistinguett x Elizabeth Marshall
Steven Ai is Lavender Lady x Diamond Pink

Elizabeth Marshall is Gladys Read x Roswell
Lavender Lady is Zada x Best Girl

Gladys Read is Juanita x Grace Palm

and on and on.... and on...

from all that I deduct that your phal. Little Mary is PINK! hehe

OH YA ITS PINK! the color is actually a light purple with white horizontal stripes. it has about 4 branches with around 18 opened flowers. i will get a picture soon
thanks to both of you
alex

Those small Phals are also called multi florals. Don't ask me why because all Phals have more than one flower, but its used to classify those phals that have a bunch of little flowers and branch compaired to having only a handful of larger flowers on a non branching spike.

Some Phals have a single flower per stem.

A few of the species. I only have one species and its a stuggling bellina. I can't recall any names of the single flowered ones. Although the referance to multifloral has to do with the number of flowers and size rather than having a single vs multiple. Atleast when it comes to phals. That is what I was told by an older orchid grower over at OSF.

Back