What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of S. alata is this?

Hey,
That is a picture of the S. alata 'black tube' variety.
Kevin

wait, isn't 'black Tube' the same as 'nigrapurpurea'?

It's called Sarracenia alata black-red by the company selling them.

smile.gif
BCK

To my knowledge, there are no valid names for varieties of alata. Unlike flava, which have been divided into 7 varieties I believe. So with alata, you get a lot of made-up names for the same plant. You'll see nigrapurpurea, black/red, maroon throat, pubescens, etc..... Those are nothing more than nicknames and have no scientific basis. We just need someone to do a little research and see if these variations are significant enough to warrant varietal status (I would presume they would be), like Schnell did with S. flava.

yeah, some one needs to sort this out my head is starting to hurt... Btw has anyone ordered S. alata nigrapurpurea and red/black from Dean Cook, what's the difference between them?

My guess is that there is little difference between them. Most likely, they were nicknamed independantly by two different people. Here are a couple of pics of a "nigrapurpurea" that I got from someone who gets most of his plants from Dean:

alata1.jpg

alata2.jpg

Back