What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favorite saltwater fish?

Serranochiritus latus: Sunburst/Fathead anthias.

Psuedanthias squamipinnis: Lyretail anthias is a close second.

Ryan,

Your right, Lions can be kept with other fish, but the simple fact is your tempting fate. Lion fish are predators, and while your feeding them prepared food has probably diminished the desire and need to hunt (I mean hey, you can swim with sharks right, even better if they have had a meal before hand.) you may one day find yourself wondering where a few of your invertebrates have gone, or a small fish... Lions can be kept in tanks with more than other lions, it's just that a lot of people choose to keep them alone, not only because they are the hoover of the reef, but they are simply stunning and can be appreciated on the own.

Oh... and the size of a fish is not the only important factor, it's speed and ability to hide is probably the tantamount trait to look for in co-habitating it with a lion.

One other thing... one of my friends recently added a young lion to his tank, he had used a blue wrasse to cycle the tank... well.. the wrasse is no longer part of the community... fast, and, bite sized... granted, that lion isn't trained to take prepared food yet.. but you get the idea... it works for you, great... but it doesn't work for everyone.

BTW, what foods are you feeding?

I've always been fond of the dragon wrasse, angler, blue ribbon eel, flame angel, pinatus bat, and the marine betta. I worked in a wholesaler and took care of the salt section. Never had a salt tank of my own. Couldn't afford to buy the aforementioned fish.

Back