What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is This Succulent?

5b7d5d160b1046cd9a85c2881a89a6b5.jpg
26a86b52785b66b22806cc225bf0b3b3.jpg

I bought this plant today half way ripped out of soil. Roots are brown and somewhat shriveled. What is this plant and how do I properly take care of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's definitely not a Cattleya, or even close to any sort of orchid.
This is Crassula ovata 'Monstruosa', which is a cultivar of jade plant.

It's exceptionally tough succulent and should do fine in some generic cactus mix or well drained potting soil.

Also, welcome to Terraforums!

:welcome:

Last edited:
It's definitely not a Cattleya, or even close to any sort of orchid.
This is Crassula ovata 'Monstruosa', which is a cultivar of jade plant.

It's exceptionally tough succulent and should do fine in some generic cactus mix or well drained potting soil.

Also, welcome to Terraforums!

:welcome:

Thank you so much!! glad to be here :) So since the roots are really brown and mostly "hard" to the touch, should i clip them all off and let it regrow roots? If so, do I then leave the plant in a dark, warm place? or could i repot it immediately?

Definitely a very poorly grown Crassula ovata. Personally, it looks like either a Gollum or Hobbit (two very similar looking varietal forms) to me. Fortunately, as w03 said, they are tough plants. Good odds it can recover.

When you unpot it, check the base of the stem where the roots are. If the stem is mushy, then cut off that portion to a healthy firm section. Let the cut callous over for a few days. (If the stem is good, then you can skip that step.) If the roots seem dead, yes you can cut them off. In either event, after potting the plant up keep it in a warm bright area but no direct afternoon sun. Bright indirect light should be fine. I'd suggest leaving the media barely moist until the plant has rooted.

If by "generic cactus mix" w03 means the crap-tacular stuff sold prebagged at the BBSs, I'm not a fan. Crassula are usually quite adaptable but a more porous/less "peaty" mix would likely be wiser -- depending upon your growing conditions. If your options are limited, you could try cutting the prebagged stuff with chicken grit and/or perlite.

Definitely a very poorly grown Crassula ovata. Personally, it looks like either a Gollum or Hobbit (two very similar looking varietal forms) to me. Fortunately, as w03 said, they are tough plants. Good odds it can recover.

When you unpot it, check the base of the stem where the roots are. If the stem is mushy, then cut off that portion to a healthy firm section. Let the cut callous over for a few days. (If the stem is good, then you can skip that step.) If the roots seem dead, yes you can cut them off. In either event, after potting the plant up keep it in a warm bright area but no direct afternoon sun. Bright indirect light should be fine. I'd suggest leaving the media barely moist until the plant has rooted.

If by "generic cactus mix" w03 means the crap-tacular stuff sold prebagged at the BBSs, I'm not a fan. Crassula are usually quite adaptable but a more porous/less "peaty" mix would likely be wiser -- depending upon your growing conditions. If your options are limited, you could try cutting the prebagged stuff with chicken grit and/or perlite.

Yes- very poorly grown. Im a novice plant owner and I could even tell how this little guy was in pretty bad shape.. not the worst ive seen but still. Thank you for your info. I will be doing that immediately in the morning.

Yup its called a crassula "hobbit" its a succulent. Sifted (through a grate of some sort to remove the heavy chunky pieces) cacti and succulent mix and perlite as medium and water when the top of the soil is dry to the touch. Give plenty of indirect light to keep it from burning until it can adapt to stronger light levels. Goodluck

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to Terraforums!

If you're concerned about how repotting and/or messing with the roots might affect the plant, you may also consider pulling off one of the individual leaves and shoving it into a small pot of media as a form of 'insurance' just in case something tragic happens with the main plant - you'll hopefully still have that little guy. I've read that the pullings should have good roots in about 3 months. Good luck!

Back