What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this plant? Any ideas of where to get it?

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hey guys,

I was randomly looking at epiweb's website and saw this pic. It looks freaking awsome. I know its a bromeliad. Does someone have this plant ? Would u know where I can find it?

Epibromelia1.jpg

thanks,

Varun

It looks just like the plant that was in my ventricosa's pot. o.o Sorry, I don't know where to get one, but it did grow fast...if that's the same plant.

SN852806.jpg

What a cutie! I love miniature plants. And just miniature things in general - especially those little Bic lighters. They make me feel like a giant.
I'm not sure where to get it, but I would look at orchid/tillandsia/tropical plant vendors. Have you tried searching Gardenweb?
Capensis, I'm pretty sure what you have there is some sort of sedge grass.
~Joe

Whoa, I just love that mossy branch & bromilad!
What is "Epiweb" site? Is that a terrarium decorating site?

Capensis, I'm pretty sure what you have there is some sort of sedge grass.
~Joe

It looked exactly like it, but a younger version. I pulled it out, so I can't get any pictures. If you look, the older leaves on the plant is the same as the plant in my ventricosa's pot. Plus, it had the same kind of markings.

Hmm, I guess you lucked out then. All I ever get in mine are bog grass. :(
Sorry to hear you got rid of it, though.
~Joe

yup guys! I knew that some of us will love that picture. :D afterall we are all the same bunch loving plants. :p the site is www.epiweb.se . Its the epiweb official website. You can find this picture in the gallery.

yup capensis. That looks like no sedge. Sedge's growth pattern is more like a grass with thin blades that aren't that wide. Yours truly looks like a bromeliad. Its unfortunate that you ripped it out. You should have tried to keep it seperately.

naah seedjar. I checked random bromeliad places on google but couldn't find this species. one thing is for sure though, if u notice the image name...epiweb themself call it a bromeliad.

I thought the one in Capensis' photo looked grassy because the outer leaves seem fairly decumbent for such a small, apparently narrow specimen. I have no trouble believing the first picture is a Bromeliad. It doesn't look exactly like what I have in mind when I think of a Bromeliad, but the distinction is probably due merely to variation among species or its small size.
~Joe

You can try the photo index at http://www.fcbs.org/. My guess is that it's a Guzmania that isn't getting enough light to develop more color. Bromeliads are as likely to be random hybrids as orchids are, so don't expect to be able to identify it.

I sent them an email. Lets see what they say. Hmm....you might be right bruce. But, this one looks like a miniature. I really want a set of miniature bromeliads to grow as epiphytes with my neps. lol! :p

Man. If only I knew. :-( I thought it was sedge grass, too, plus it was getting big and made a division, so I ripped it out. Oh well. :blush:

Back