What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this black thing? its on flower

upper

Capensis Killer
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

What kind of VFT is this?
IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

Extra Pics
my vft has been catching ALOT lately
IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

my oreophila. the little guy just came up
IMG_1570.jpg

can you spot all 7 flower?
IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

my attempt to grow sphagnum, and a peek at my drosera pot. they're under the table the VFT and Sarracenia pot is on.
IMG_1574.jpg

Those are eyes. Haven't you seen drawings of ETs? Why do you think they are called Venus Flytraps :-D

i thought its called venus after that goddess thingy. but good to know its not a bad sign :D

You are correct, I was just messing with ya. Spots are probably from damage of some sort, maybe bugs. If it was a hole through I'd suspect caterpillars. One munched holes through my Drosera filiformis var tracyi flower buds. No big deal if you lose one flower as you can see you have more buds.

its not a hole, its actually a bump.
although i dont have that many caterpillar here, but alot of leafhopper...
and i think the leafhopper are actually the reason for my red coloration of my oreophila.

Bumps? Do they kind of look like scabs or scales? Could be scale insects. If you can flick 'em off with your thumbnail or a knife that's what they probably are. You may or may not be able to recognize insect features on the undersides - depends on the species.

scales kinda. i took a couple off with my nail, doesnt seem to be a bug.... its just a little sheet of black thing...

scales are very...slug like if i were to compare them, usually anyway. slow moving, and thin scab like bugs. usually leave nice little white pots where they were at on the plant...atleast in my experiance with the little devils. i hate them....alot

Some species don't move at all after reaching the scale stage. Mouth parts may be the only recognizable feature if even that in some cases. Marks they leave on the plant depends on how long they've been attached.

If they came off rather easily (not having to "peel") and squishing them leaves "bug juice" you probably have scale.

They are sucking insects like aphids or mealybugs - treat with a systemic insecticide.

dont think they're scales. the just peel right off, its like.... if you get a steak and you can scratch off the burnt part. it peels off just like that.

I got one or two of those things on two of my neps. I don't know what they are but they're flat and scrape off easily.

exactly as maneatingmoo describe it.

Bug doodoo

Yup, fly poop.

Sometimes waterdroplets on your plants can fry in the sun and cause burnt spots....perhaps this is the reason for those spots?

As for why the plant was named using a referance to the Ancient Roman deity Venus, it has nothing to do with Venus whatsoever more a social comment by botanists with reference to an aspect of the feminine form that has a fimiliarity with dionaea-it was the Age of the Enlightenment after all lol.

In the end i couldn't care less, i doubt i'll get much beyond 20 posts on here as i've had a gutfull of cp forums and the moronic happenings within them :rolleyes:

Sometimes waterdroplets on your plants can fry in the sun and cause burnt spots....perhaps this is the reason for those spots?

As for why the plant was named using a referance to the Ancient Roman deity Venus, it has nothing to do with Venus whatsoever more a social comment by botanists with reference to an aspect of the feminine form that has a fimiliarity with dionaea-it was the Age of the Enlightenment after all lol.

if it was burnt spot, then if i take it off, it wouldnt look the same would it? because when i take the black stuff off(kinda) it becomes regular... everything looks the same again.

Back