What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the difference?

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
What is the difference between S. luecophylia and S. luecophylia 'tarnok'?

Later
wink.gif
Wes

'Tarnok' is a cultivar of a mutant leuco that has multi-petal flowers. The nature of the mutant is such that all the flower is is petals and there is no 'umbrella'

So, basically the only difference is the flower?

Yep, the only difference is the flower

Okay thanks you guys.

Wes

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">'Tarnok' is a cultivar of a mutant leuco that has multi-petal flowers. The nature of the mutant is such that all the flower is is petals and there is no 'umbrella'[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So can it produce seed? Or is it sterile? I wondering because i have a tarnok. Thanks

-buckeye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (buckeye @ July 29 2003,2:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">'Tarnok' is a cultivar of a mutant leuco that has multi-petal flowers. The nature of the mutant is such that all the flower is is petals and there is no 'umbrella'[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So can it produce seed?  Or is it sterile?  I wondering because i have a tarnok. Thanks

-buckeye[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
it is a cultivar i think, either that or a var, so you have to destroy the seed

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wesley @ July 29 2003,6:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is the difference between S. luecophylia and S. luecophylia 'tarnok'?

Later
wink.gif
Wes[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
i once made a apost like this .the only difference is pretty much the flower , and i believe its ' leucophylla ' not luecophylia .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ July 30 2003,12:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it is a cultivar i think, either that or a var, so you have to destroy the seed[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
A popular misconseption that needs a little clarification here: You do not have to destroy seeds produced by a cultivar. The fact of the matter is that you can do anything you want with the seeds but you can not call the offspring by the cultivar name as they are genetically different. And there are even some cases where cultivars can be raised from true breeding seeds, like the 'Othello' cultivar of Darlingtonia.

Buckeye,

As Brooks said, all indications are that 'Tarnok' is unable to produce seed or pollen.

Hey it'd be nice if tarnoks could produce seed and pollen... but I guess that's how it goes.

Wes

Back