What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the big deal?

virus
I had to edit your post and take the img. down
if you going to post Nepenthes photos that great but
I think no one like the company logo here
Arie

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ Sep. 22 2002,6:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am just curious why so many people are gogga over Raja? All this Raja talk is making me interested...Is this like the prize plant of CP's collectors? Are they easy to grow or something that requires allot of care. Allot people have these plants and seem to really enjoy them. They are different I will say that. Would they fit in a 10-gallon tank (after 5 years)? Are they big plants? How big do the pitchers get on an adult plant?

Thanks,
Travis[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi. I'm new to the Disculssion Forums.

Does anyone know where to get rajah for a low price? Thanks,
      John

John, please do not post other sites which offer other CP's for sale. Your new and I understand that.
smile.gif
But it is not good membership to post a site which sells CP's and this site also sells them, it just isn't good etiquette in the world of business.
smile.gif
Thanks for you understanding! And please understand that I am not yelling at you just telling you.
smile.gif
. And a mod please to correct the link?
smile.gif

Welcome aboard John. We would like the forums to remain oriented towards culture and other aspects of CPs and not become a shopping mall. Matters of where to buy plants and pricing should be kept to the private messenger or email. Other than that have fun!
Tony

I suppose the Rajah is a perfect greenhouse plant...not a houseplant. How do get the temps to change to keep them happy? I also wonder if you need a separate greenhouse for other neps that do not require cold nights? I think this has basically answered my question on why N. Rajah's are such a special plant and defiantly not for beginners. I suppose you could grow them if you had the right conditions. The size of the plant is just unbelievable! What an awesome plant!
smile.gif
wow.gif

travis

If you live on the immediate coast of california it might work. (the extra humidity will help and the rise and fall of temp. in morning and night will also help)
John

Greenhouses will naturally get the temp drop in spring and fall but summer requires AC and winter requires heat (so they don't actually freeze). I have my large highland terrarium connected to an airconditioner and humidifier so it blows cold wet air into the enclosure at night. Once your nepenthes collection begins to grow you will need to build a custom large size terrarium (or have one built) of about 4 ft high 4 ft wide and at least 2 ft deep (I wish I'd have made mine 4 feet deep) because they are indeed huge plants (usually)!
smile.gif

Thanks Tony.
smile.gif

John you're all set buddy, no harm done!
smile.gif

Most of all the "gaga" over N. rajah is just that. Although at one time, it was thought to have the largest pitchers in the genus, there are others that rival N. rajah in size. Large pitchers have been found on N. merrilliana, N. rafflesiana giant forms, and N. truncata can certainly look spectacular as an adult plant with adult pitchers. Nevertheless, for those desiring a slow growing highland nepenthes with a long long waiting period for it to mature, N. rajah can be rewarding. Personally, I think pitchers of N. trancata, and N. veitchii are both nicer looking pitchers. Remember....."Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

Kim

Actually, I think the mature pitchers of rajah are rather gross and sort of alien/insectoid looking ! Maybe I'd even say the ugliest pitchers... and I want some!
Certainly belonging more in the "interesting" catergory than "beautiful"!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I want a bumper sticker now that says "I love my Rajah"
biggrin.gif

Nep G at office supply stores (and even at wal mart) they sell bumper sticker paper all you need is a color inkjet printer, supposedly they're waterproof!
smile.gif

i got some of that sticker paper and yes it is water proof. they even sell paper that you can tatoo yourself with. just what i need another tatoo lol

Back