What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it and other questions

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, please help on what is this orchid, why is it "bulging" near the leaves on 1 shoot specificially (but others are swelling also) and is it bad it is this root bound? If so, what should I pot it in?
Thanks!! Andrew (sorry in advanced for poor phone picture taken at night)
0315071955a_001.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a Cattleya or a BC (Brassavola-Cattleya) intergeneric. Maybe Josh or someone else with more experience with them can chime in. The swellings are pseudobulbs, which show that the plant is storing some energy. The amazing thing is how those roots have naturally formed into the shape of a pot. That must be why pots have that shape - so they'll conform to the natural root form of plants. Did you mount the plant on that hand-like object? The watch is a great detail, it makes the mount seem almost life-like.

herenorthere- That is why I use square pots, because plant roots ALWAYS tend to go to that shape while growing for me! The hand came with the orchid... The Tissot watch I added... The sucky thing is the watch takes no batteries... you gotta charge it by shaking it around. But since the hand sits there and holds this plant, I have to go shake the hand some times... I've been accused of being too friendly. But oh well. :-)) :-D :boogie: :crazy:

Yes, it is a Cattleya type orchid, possibly a hybrid. The psuedobulbs look normal as they typically swell as they store water. The newest bulbs are usually the fattest, and the older bulbs usually shrivel a bit as they get older.
You have very healthy roots!!
It looks like you have it in sphag moss. You can repot it in the next larger size pot if you want.
Peter.

Shortly after this, I moved this orchid and another into a larger pot... and started giving them more sun. About a week ago I noticed buds, and today it started to open... Just thought I'd share, still think it's what it is you guys guessed earlier?
Thanks kindly, and enjoy!
Andrew

Looks like a tri-generic hybrid, most likely BLC (Brassolaeliacattleya). Unless it is a registered cultivar propagated by tissue culture, which it very well may be, it can be difficult to positively identify.

Unles it is a species you can hang up identifying it. So many hybrids look aloke. The buld is normal for a smaller pseudobulb. Everyone is correct. They swell as a waterstore, and if you water them too much they can swell so much they split open. They act just like a buld would in the ground. It is a hybrid and from the looks of it I would say a Potonia (spelling) The abreviation is pot. Might be little toshie yellow rose, but don;t qupte me on that one. It has been so long since mine has bloomed. Pot is a trihybrid too. I think hell might be a quad been so long since I looked. Hang up IDing it though. Hybrid can never be 100% IDed once the tag is lost. It looks like a nice mini cat though.

I think you mean the man-made genera Potinara, which is any hybrid with just these four genera in its parentage; Brassavola, Cattleya, Laelia and Sophronitis. It definitely appears to have a Sophronitis influence in its vegetative parts.

Thanks Joseph I didn't have the time earlier to look it up to get the propper spelling. I just knew the abreviation. Pots are a nice "mini catt". I have one that is red I like alot.

Back