What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is going wrong here? WHat do I do??

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I am sooo freaking confused. My ceph was looking sooo good for a while. I only had 2 adult pitchers...I know..these gave me confidence that inspite of a burnt growth point...the plant may come back. But early this week ...actually on the 23rd .. the unthinkable happened. :-( ???

This is the plant on August 13th

1111372309_74fa3cc7f9_o.jpg

I kept noticing that the water level keeps going down in the pitchers... I don't know why. I tried adding water by myself into them. :(

this is the plant on august 23rd when the pitcher on the left... the one which infact formed after the pitcher on the right started closing and giving up the ghost.

2308072251bm1.jpg

Now, I was sooo disappointed..but I was hoping that the plant is ok. Today morning...this happen

2508071642kb1.jpg

I feel like crying. Both the beautiful pitchers are going away.

Now, apart from the pouring water into the pitchers masquerade, there have been sudden changes to the climate here. For a while, the temps in canada was pretty good (IMO), it was like 75 in evenings and like low 60's or 50's at night. Very comfortable with decent normal humidity at around 40-50. Suddenly, we are having rainy days here..so probably humidity is going up a bit, I had the fan which was off for like a week, now again on (THis fan brings in air from outside to in..so the plants will definately get air movement over them. The fan was running 24/7 for 3 months...but I turned it off for a week around august 16th or so and now I turned it back on again).

Now...the plant is growing in low humidity. Yet...as u can see the plant is enduring...the pitcher on the right is still wide open and going strong. I have fed it many times with small bugs occassionally since its formation. The one on the left is relatively unfed...its kinda FRESH u can say. The humidity is like room humidity ... around 40-50. Now, this is growing in Live LFS. (chilean). Should I put a dome on top of it...to make it used to humidity but risk root rot considering that it is growing in a media that is almost always damp?? I know a fellow grower who grows it on a window sill at this low humdiity and it is doing great.

How come water is just going away. What do I do to keep these things as they are meant to be-functional for a few months?? These ones have been good only for 3 months now.
sad.gif
I thought cephs can do quite a long time. Its soo disappointing. 2 nice pitchers and they are already going away. Its the one which actually formed afterwards.

I feel like crying. Damn... one plant... what do I do for this thing? Its not like a rajah or any nepenthes which even shows a bit of hesitation when growing in bad conditions. THis thing just gives up :(

please advice. Please help. What the hell am I doing wrong? WHat do I do? why are these pitchers just lasting 3 months...aren't they supposed to last years? I know that the new growth tips have formed around the old plant...but, is it reasonable to assume that they are sucking out strength from this??

I dont know what to do. I water it twice a week...ensure that there is no water left in the tray or dish whatever. there is a little airmovement due to the fan. What else? many ppl grow this baby in low room humidity and get awsome plants.

thanks for any help,

varun

The old old adult pitchers that my Cephalotus got in the mail finished dying off recently (though, it was still pumping out stronger bulkier pitchers since), the baby ones are still there so I think your analysis may be correct. I grow my Cephalotus on a windowsill in room-humidity, 40-50% and it seems to be doing great! I need to slow down on the watering though, been getting a little too wet under the feet.

It seems to be root rotting, changing its conditions at the last minute isn't probably the best idea. Though, the picture doesn't have very good quality. I think it's ideal you keep it alive because I know Canada doesn't get Cephalotus as much as we do. Even if the plant seems to just die completely don't just miserably toss the pot in the trash, I read where a grower kept the pot in the same spot for over a year and then finally one day he noticed the Cephalotus coming back :). If worse comes to worse you probably need a leaf pulling, but, I don't think I can diagnose that, I've never even taken a leaf pulling! :(.

Hope I helped!

~Sam

yeah,....but, I didn't just get this plant. I got this in april. Sinec then, the plant has been doing decent with good growth for a while. (till may 23rd) I changed its condition drastically by putting it too close to light....it stalled becos of its burnt growth tip for 3 months.(till early august...when I finally moved it away from that spot) After this it started new growth tips...but, now the 3 month old pitchers on the OLD side of the plant are dying. (These big ones were the ones that were made before may 23rd as a tip, finished opening around june 25th) There are 2 smaller baby pitchers which are like 5 months old and still looking ok. What the hell?? :(

dammit... this plant is freaking annoying me. I love it...but what the hell? :( :(

Can't see much in those blurry photos. I can see plenty of bright green coming though.

Ceph pitchers don't last years - 3 months seems about right.

I think you're worrying over nothing.

Back