What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have we done

• Thread starter cfg
  • Start date
We were given 2 tree frogs in a 10 gallon fish tank (for our Grandson) because the frogs bark.

Where can I go on the web to identify them?
Will the salts in softened water hurt them?
Besides Crickets, what other foods are good?

We are atempting a crash course to keep our new house guests comfortable.
rock.gif

www.kingsnake.com is huge reptile site. I always used RO water for mine cause they can obsorb threw there skin. Anything that moves and fits comfortably in their mouth is game. I use to raise tree frogs but, no more now. They are neat little critters, very vocal when happy. Have fun with them.

Joe

You must likely have 2 barking tree frogs. Your best bet is to cruise aroung kingsnake.com and dig of info. Best to use rain water or distilled water, as stated before, amphibians absorb through skin. Best diet consits of a variety of insect.

Thanks for the help

tounge.gif

i dont think you can keem many native animals in captivity without a licence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ April 23 2004,9:25)]i dont think you can keem many native animals in captivity without a licence.
Every animal is native to one area or another...
rock.gif

what does this have to do with keeping tree frogs?
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

Well you cant just go outside and pick up a squirrle and keep it as a pet, nor a wild bird. You cant go collecting snakes from your backyard and put them in a terrarium. What makes anphibians so special?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Every animal is native to one area or another...

You know what i mean. THATS WHY WE HAVE INVASIVE SPECIES! The animals introduced have no types of control for them, so they spread indefenatly. Just look at the feild of leafy spurge behind my house!!!
Tecnacly a population can grow indefantly. The only reason why were not overrun with things is because they are kept in check by control factors like disease. Introduced dont have that problem!

Red fire ants arnt native, so was it ok to bring them to the states?! NO! Just look at hawaii, all the native animals and plants are being pushed to extinction by exotic introduced species.

BLAH! BLAH BLAH BLAY, YAP YAP DRIBBLE DRIBBLE!

"Well you cant just go outside and pick up a squirrle and keep it as a pet, nor a wild bird. You cant go collecting snakes from your backyard and put them in a terrarium. What makes anphibians so special?"

Actually, in the U.S., you can go picking up snakes in your backyard and putting them in a terrarium. Birds are protected by the migratory bird act, though house sparrows or starlings, you could go grab outside and keep as a pet. Squirrels may require a hunting or trapping license, otherwise, you could. Any amphibian, reptile, or insect (so long as it is native) from outside can prettymuch be kept as a pet.

Introduced and non-native insects require a plant pest permit, which requires you not to release them outside. In that case, it's any non-native insects that require a permit, not native ones.

As for exotic amphibians, despite the problems they have caused, there aren't any laws in the U.S. that really stop more from being introduced, despite problems already occurring.

as soon as I posted that, I realized I forgot to mention, I am talking about the legality of it. Not encouraging it. It's really not a good idea. I'm just trying to explain the laws after the comment that any native animal requires a permit. Sorry for any confusion.

Yea, Finch, but that has nothing to do with the previous posts, is what i mean... The post had nothing to do with tree frogs, because they didnt go out and wild collect the frogs, they got them from a friend
smile.gif

err well true. all true

In the USA, the collecting and/or keeping of any animal is regulated by Federal, State, County and even city laws.

For Example, In Florida you can collect just about any species that isnt threatened or endangered. However, some cities and counties have codes against keeping alligators--even if you have a state license.
In Tennessee, NO wildlife can be kept or collected without the proper licenses.

If in doubt, check your state laws. They can usually also tell you what the federal regs are on it too. Then check your county and citiy codes. Just because the Feds and State allow it---doesn't mean your city or county does.

Those of you who have spent much time at Kingsnake.com should be aware that there are laws and plenty of them, and its getting worse every year.

As far as the tree frogs go--I wouldn't sweat it. Just learn how to take care of them and enjoy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In Florida you can collect just about any species that isnt threatened or endangered.

Absolutly not true. The migritory bird act protects all native songbirds in the country. It is a federal law, and florida is no exeption.

I really guess I covered it with the "just about" part. What I was trying to get across is simply that the laws change from state to state, county to county, municipality to municipality, city to city, etc to etc. So, if you are in Doubt---check the law--Fed, state, and local.

So, relax and take a deep breath....or 10.

Back