What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened?

• Thread starter SFLguy
  • Start date
4c5f2a9428de5c7f694a5709453861b7.jpg

This one leaf has died in a way that I find to be atypical, it did not blacken like others have it just dried up and it's not even the oldest leaf, there are four leaves below it still, anybody know what could have happened?

That happens occasionally, leaves don't always die in chronological order. That particular leaf might have been exposed to a draft or something from the window. It's nothing to worry about, your plant is still healthy.

Could be sunburn (since leaf is facing window--any really hot days recently?) What are your temps like, and how frequently do you water? Could this plant have dried out too much?

But since other leaves appear to be dying from the base outward, my first inclination is actually root rot. If the roots are gone or damaged, the leaves will wilt/dry, and this has a different appearance than normal senescence. I'd get in there and check em. Is this plant in an undrained bucket of some kind??

Last edited:
That happens occasionally, leaves don't always die in chronological order. That particular leaf might have been exposed to a draft or something from the window. It's nothing to worry about, your plant is still healthy.
Thanks, I got worried because it seems like the leaf next to it was doing the same thing and then stopped

Could be sunburn (since leaf is facing window--any really hot days recently?) What are your temps like, and how frequently do you water? Could this plant have dried out too much?

But since other leaves appear to be dying from the base outward, my first inclination is actually root rot. If the roots are gone or damaged, the leaves will wilt/dry, and this has a different appearance than normal senescence. I'd get in there and check em. Is this plant in an undrained bucket of some kind??

Sorry, just saw this, root rot was my biggest worry actually, it was in an undrained pot until recently but I've since made holes. This pitcher is also on the side that gets the most sunlight by far but that didn't seem to affect it earlier, I usually water twice a week but recently was away and I feel like the plant got over watered in my absence :( (hence the pre-existing worry about rot) what I thought it could be was stem rot because above and below that one area is fine, it's just that one section and the leaves that were affected have not shown any more die off but I'll be sure to check again (I've let it dry out a bit more than usual)

Back