What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What food is best for VFTs?

LOL. So true.

Well, usually the Dionaea trap died when I fed them parts of fat wax worms. In fact, they always did. I fed one 5 maggots, it didn't open for 2 or 3 weeks, but it did. I also fed my Big Mouth this disgusting thing that looked like the crawler or some zombie coming out of my D. spatulata soil that was an inch long. Bon appetite! The Dionaea opened in about 4 or 5 days, a record time! The thing wasn't really fat, but it had a lot of longness so it should have been an adequate meal. It's still plastered as skin on the side of the trap.

Just as a key of advice: If you buy something for your Venus Flytrap, or get something, that kills the trap the first two times, then I'd just look for something new altogether. I doubt I'll be able to find another crawler zombie bug but it worked out fine. The trap didn't even rot when it's legs were sticking out, even if they are bone thin.

It's funny, but I never seem to have problems feeding dead things ( I guess my fingers are to big??? ), my VFT's seem to notice the difference (although I still would rather use live prey). I like using earwigs or small bits of earthworm. This is the only time of year I feed my plants, just to give them a little breakfast boost:banana2: .

I don't know why, but it seems like ladybugs usually end up slowly killing the trap... even though they seem small enough and the traps appears to seal up well

I dunno???

Av

It could be that yellow panic-fluid they exude. That stuff is NASTY.

Yes in my experience with VFTs, I've discovered that ladybugs and any variant of it will most likely kill a trap. I just think they're too crunchy is all. :/

Back