What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exactly are pleiospilos?

I'm going to get some pleiospilos seedlings and I don't know what they are. Are they lithops? I've seen pics (from google search) and some of the results look like lithops and others look like another type of plant and yet others look like two leaves against the ground and then two bump things.
Do I treat them lilke lithops?

They are basically a Mesembryanthemacium.

Mesemb/Pleios

Good place for basic info.
BTW thank the splitters for seperating them.
Joe

I got them today! 3 little seedlings
smile.gif

darn it! I don't have a true lithops yet!
I WOULD split them... they look very different!
I wish I knew what the species was though
mad.gif

Pleiospilos nelii (Split Rock) is the most common species in the trade, so this would be the most likely.

There are some very interesting and unique plants in this large family. These plants are all in the daisy family. Although the forms are interesting, the flowers can be breathtaking, like daisys with a metallic sheen.

Pleiospilos are currently and conservatively considered to be members of the mesembryanthema. These are but two of four sub-tribes of the Aizoaceae plant Family. However, some not so conservative experts, still consider the mesembrbyanthema (mesembs) should have their own family the Mesembryanthemaceae. Research presently underway may prove who is correct. Mesembs are considered to be the most rapidly evolving group of plants anywhere in the world. They have a truly amazing variety of morphologies (growth forms) and survival strategies.
They are not members of the Asteraceae family (daisies) although some flowers are superficially similar to some daisie flowers.
The Aizoaceae are members of the plant order Caryophyllales This highly adventurous order (in an evolutionary sence) includes the amazing Nepenthaceae and Droseraceae among many others.
Reagrds Didge Rowe. <http://mvtpages.nl/TheMesembs/>

Back