What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I made this list up for another thread of what I grow as windowsill plants. I was curious what plants others grow this way.

When I first started to grow CP's, I also thought you had to have high humidity. My first tank has water in the bottom of it all the time to keep the humidity up. The top only has about a 2 1/2" opening the length of the tank. I also have a Tropical Aire Humidifier to help circulate air and increase humidity.

After experimenting with different CP's and humidity requirements, the second tank I set up has less then half the top covered. That's it. It's mainly a propagation tank for Cephs.
Currently in that tank I grow the following:

Cephalotus follicularis

Drosera falconeri

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

This is what I grow at my magic window on a shelf or in open tanks. The average humidity is 35-40%

Cobra Lily

Drosera adelae
Drosera aliciae
Drosera ascendens
Drosera capensis 'Albino'
Drosera capensis "red"
Drosera capensis - Typical
Drosera cistiflora
Drosera hartmeyerorum
Drosera intermedia
Drosera madagascariensis (Botswana)
Drosera montana var. tomentosa
Drosera prolifera
Drosera regia "Big Easy"
Drosera schizandra
Drosera sessilifolia
Drosera spatulata

Pygmy - My others will most likely be moving to the windowsill soon to make room for more Petiolaris complex sundews.
Drosera nitidula ssp allantostigma

Tuberous
Drosera peltata

Dewy Pine

Nepenthes aristolochioides
Nepenthes bicalcarata
Nepenthes hamata (Borneo Exotics clone)
Nepenthes Marbled Dragon (N. maxima - dark x N. truncata) (Exotica hybrid)
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes rajah
Nepenthes x Rokko clone A x Nepenthes hamata

Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' (P. agnata x P. moctezumae)
Pinguicula cyclosecta
Pinguicula emarginata
Pinguicula emarginata X cyclosecta
Pinguicula esseriana
Pinguicula gigantea X moctezuma
Pinguicula gypsicola
Pinguicula laueana
Pinguicula lusitanica
Pinguicula moranensis
Pinguicula rotundiflora

Utricularia humboldtii
Utricularia longifolia
Utricularia sandersonii

With the exception of Sarracenias, everyting else in the collection has been grown on a window sill. Rather than rattle off a bazillion species and cultivars, here's a couple pictpral links:

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/straus_2006/?start=all

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/jimscott/?start=all

Really, it seems that nearly all CP's can be grown on a window sill, even if supplemented by artificial lighting. All Mexican butterworts, Utrics, pigmy sundews, American, African, other Australian sundews do well on a sill. Neps suffer without supplemental lighting in the fall and winter.

One B. filifolia seeding lmao

mines not considered a window. but i grow everything except sarrs and my red dragon VFT on a growshelf. flourescent lighting. 30% humidity. my 3 new neps N. mira, muluensis x lowii and talangensis all are in plastic baggies right now. they need to adjust before i do anything else.
Alex

All my plants with the exception of my Saracenia and VFTs are in my window. The Sars and VFTs are outside getting snowed on right now.

Noteable plants that I grow in my "windowsill" and not in any sort of tank or enclosure are:

Nepenthes hamata
Cephalotus follicularis
Heliamphora 'Tequila'

Then there's a few more Nepenthes, Drosera, and Utricularia, but those are less picky (the species I have, not necessarily the genera, so nobody slam me for this statement. :p )

I don't really have any suitable windows for CPs, except for my west-facing window that's tinted. On that windowsill I've grown several Neps, sundews, and a few orchids with limited success.

This is why I stick to artificial lighting. Much more reliable.

EDIT: Hey Est, would you mind posting a picture of your windowsill N. hamata?

Last edited:
All my plants with the exception of my Saracenia and VFTs are in my window. The Sars and VFTs are outside getting snowed on right now.

Snow?! Geez, it hit 91 in East Aurora. Trade ya!

As I don't have outdoor room, not even a balcony, they're all windowsill grown. When the wheather allows I leave the windows open to let the lunch come in :cool:

Snow?! Geez, it hit 91 in East Aurora. Trade ya!
None of the snow stuck here, but over in South Park they got 8'' :-O . It's supposed to get up into the 60°s today ???

Got some more plants for my window today that I ordered from Andrew's shop. I'll get them potted up tonight and on to my new window shelf :banana2:

Last edited:
Drosera adelae all year

Neps during the cold months, they go outside in late spring.

Tom

Back