What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did i do wrong?

Horrible photo but the little sprout is only about an eighth of an inch so that certainly does complicate matters.

4d1fa542.jpg

No Ispahan, no more.  I look under bright lights with a magnifying glass a few times a day but no signs of any more life. I am totally pleased as all get out to have two coming back.  Guess what Isp, you're in my neck of the woods. I'm up north of Chicago by about an hour or so. If you ever want to come on up and see my naturally occuring bogs and marshes you would most certainly be welcome to do so. No native CPs in them yet but I'm moving that direction in the years to come after I clean up several wetland invaders.

That mix I used was pretty heavy on sand and charcoal. Do I need to add more of another ingredient?

charcoal?
I never heard of using that.....

I use 1:1:1:1 peat,sand,perlite,vermiculite(for mexican pings only) for temeprates I use 2:1:1 two parts peat, sand, perlite
I know other people that use it with good results.

I ran out of the pumice.

I think perlite and pumice are different but Im not sure....

P. lusitanica is a bog plant, so peat-based soils of many types will be fine. It ought not to be fussy about perlite and other mineral-aerators.

Charcoal is used to maintain freshness in soil usually.

I grow P. lusitanica on pure milled LFS, from seed, which germinates like cress when fresh.

How are your Pinguicula lusitanica fairing now, Laura?  I hope they are all springing back to life.

Corey

Oh Corey, not too well I'm afraid. I think one of my cats was in there digging around. I saw a chewed up orchid leaf and a big fat paw print in the tray. Time to shut the doors to that bathroom. By all rights, at least those two that were putting out new growth should have survived.

That's rough news, Laura. I put in an order for some Pinguicula lusitanica as well, so I sure do hope they work out well for you.

No no please... you didn't put in an order for me did you?  You don't even have my address. That order you placed had to be for you. I'm trying to get out of this house to leave and I'm still potting stray plants and they're not even for me and I am totally out of places with light to stash them. Boy Oh boy am I on circuitry overload.

LOL!  No, don't worry.  I ordered them for me
biggrin.gif
  This species was just too "cute" to pass up.

Back