What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What could I grow in my ten gallon terrarium? It doesn't matter what, I have a greenhouse like what some other user has that they got from Jo Ann's that I could move it to once it gets to large for the tank but just for right now.

The conditions are 78-80 degrees f. in the day.75-85 humidity in the day.
65-68 degrees f. in the night. 90-100 humidity at night.

I have 4 flourescents and 1 cool white bulb on the tank for 210 watts.

I am currently growing Darlingtonia and S. purpurea in it.(In the cubes from Lowe's. I had to save them!
biggrin.gif
) They seem to be doing fine. I haven't had them for a long time, only a week or so and they are both sending up red pitchers as I can see.

I want to get into Nepenthes. I haved scanned over this forum for a while now and researching all that I can about temps and rh and such.

I want to know what others think I could grow in here. As I said it is not a problem if they get large because I have a mini-greenhouse, not set up yet, but I could get it set up with the correct conditions so size isnt a problem.

Please help!
biggrin.gif

Hmm... n. alata and n. ventricosa are very easy. There's a n. alata "spotted form" that's very pretty and easy to grow. I think they'd do just fine in there. Another easy nep is a hybrid between n. alata and n. ventricosa called n. x ventrata. Possibly n. sanguinea but it's a highland species and may need cooler temperatures.

Those conditions are suitable for many easy neps. Gracilis and rafflesiana are some good lowlanders that wouldn't mind high 60's at night. Mijako is right, too. Especially about ventrata. That thing is a weed!
smile.gif

Yes N. Ventrata would be a great plant to start off in there due to how easy it is to grow and take care of also i think its a beautiful hybird.

:: Electric Carnivores ::
wink.gif

Hey there
A nice small hybrid is also N. campanulata x veitchii.  Good luck!

You'll like that one being a campanulata fan!

Hmmm... 10 gallon tank... ventrata would take over fairly quickly. I would look for a small slow growing variety, sorry I can't think of one off hand but I'm sure someone will know of something.
smile.gif

I have a ventricosa in a 10 gallon terrarium and it does great and doesnt seem to grow to fast ( yet) but it seems to do well and i dont think it will need to come out for a while.

Back