What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Causes These Things on My Pitchers?

I just went outside to check on my plants, and I found a brown spot in the midle of my youngest pitcher of this one plant, and white stuff on my purple pitcher. I've seen both before, but I probably shouldn't be having this, especially the white.

Also, below the brown spot on the pitcher, there's a white webbing, almost. Different white than on the purple pitcher.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

the brown spots are probably caused from insects that the plant didnt digest too well and in turn rotted part of the pitcher, i see it alot on plants here.
The webbing, ive also seen, i believe its just a cocoon of some kind...just scrape it off.

DUnno about the white, but the I think the brown spots is the leaf rotting from the insects inside that are also rotting. That's what happens to me, at least.

I think the white thing might be mold from undigested stuff.. because inside one of my purps pitchers theres this white smelly thing in it. But outside... its probably not mites, and is probably nothing to worry about.

The brown spots are normal. It is caused either by or during the digestion process. The white stuff might be powdery mildew but it is tuff to tell from the picture. That is very easy to treat with sulfer based fungicide. The other white webbing is just a cocoon of some type. It can be remove or left it will not damage anything! Unless it's a caterpillar of some type then I would remove it.

I'd say it's ok, i got a webbing on judith hindle, so i cut the one pitcher off.
By the way, this belongs in sarracenia forum, not nepenthes.
Also, what plants are those? Red bug and purpurea?

By the way, this belongs in sarracenia forum, not nepenthes.

Perhaps 'yah didn't realize it, but this thread is located within the Sarraceniaceae
discussion threads. ;)

Brown burns have been addressed.

White areas on S. purpurea are probably mold, fungus or mildew. The affected pitchers look mostly brown to me. I would cut the pitchers off.

It is difficult to make out exactly what the white "webbing" on the green pitcher is. It could be mold, fungus or mildew. It could be silk from a moth/butterfly larvae. It could be webbing produced by mealybugs. It could even be a splash of bird or lizard poop.

You have to examine your plant more closely to determine what it is. If it is larvae silk you'll either find a cocoon or a least a tube where the larvae hides. You should find traces of leaf damage from chewing and caterpillar "frass" (droppings). If from mealybugs you'll know if you spot one. They like nooks and crannies so look in the folds of the hoods, along the ala or on the rhizome.

Perhaps 'yah didn't realize it, but this thread is located within the Sarraceniaceae
discussion threads. ;)

Actually, around 8, i saw this in the nep forum/ maybe it was a glitch

The white was indeed a cocoon of some sort, as I found a larva inside. I did away with it. Thinking back, I probably could have just dropped the larva into a pitcher. Drat.

Back