What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What bladderwort for me?

I'm looking for a bladderwort that is easy to care for, spreads over an area quickly, blooms often, will grow on a rock like surface, will grow submerged and emerged, can handle gentle water movement.

What bladderwort is for me?

Perhaps Utricularia graminifolia? I'm not sure what other fairly available species there are that can be grown submersed and emersed, but maybe you could try some of the more common terrestrial species like subulata or livida?

Yeah that sounds like U. gramnifolia to me. The most crazy expanding Utric I've grown is U. livida, but I don't think it could grow on rock with no media.

Otherwise gibba grows well as a terrestrial or full on aquatic, another very tolerable (and that flowers often) utric is uliginosa, in the wild they are predominantly emergent aquatics, and they readily grow on plain rock, they also both tolerate a large range of temperature.

Thank you all for the ideas!

And that's another thing, it would need to be easily acquirable.
Also, something that didn't need a rest period would be best.

ok that definitely sounds like graminifolia (or uliginosa but that might be a bit harder to find)

Utricularia graminifolia sounds right for you. If you want a picture of it, this is from last month's Plant of the Month competition by RSS:

14129903878_c30a2450f8_b.jpg

Well I think graminifolia is the place to start! Thanks everyone!
And wow, that is one thick mat of graminifolia!

In books, most give precise instructions on it's care, but online, it seems that people keep it in all sorts of water conditions, lighting and even with fish and fertilizer! Some are high tech and others are very low tech. It seems to be a rather adaptable plant. Are their any details that must be attended to? So far, I've seen very little consistency.

Well I think graminifolia is the place to start! Thanks everyone!
And wow, that is one thick mat of graminifolia!

In books, most give precise instructions on it's care, but online, it seems that people keep it in all sorts of water conditions, lighting and even with fish and fertilizer! Some are high tech and others are very low tech. It seems to be a rather adaptable plant. Are their any details that must be attended to? So far, I've seen very little consistency.

I keep it in an inch of peat with an inch of water above it in a sealed container.

DSC_0677_1.jpg

Back