What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are they?

I looked at this forum and saw this post. Well are they carnivorous? Where can i get one? Can someone tell me where i can see pics of them or sumthing. Please tell me about them.
smile.gif

Looks like a pic of utricularia flowers.
Utricularia are usually very small plants which have "bladders" instead of roots. these bladders suck in live swimming or crawling prey.
I'm pretty new to utrics (only have about 10 and I just got them) so someone else may be able to ID them from the photo. There are 214 species
As for learning about them there is only one book I know of called The Genus Utricularia it's almost 800 pages and almost all scientific text. I will be recieving a copy in the mail soon (should've been here by now..) but it was an expensive book so if you go to www.Google.com and type in "Utricularia" you will get a ton of responses and plenty of reading info.
Also check out the Utricularia forum on this site.

You guys i'm not talking about the picture i'm talking about the plants that i put this question under!!!I shoulda never put that picture there......ehehe sorry bout the mixup.
sad.gif

The plants listed above are all considered by some to be carnivorous, it all depends how you define 'carnivorous'

Two bromeliads (pineapple family) Brocchnia reducta from S. America and Catopsis berteroniana from S. and Central America, North into Florida are considered carnivorous.

The tropical tree, Triphyophyllum peltatum from W. Africa is definately carnivorous in it's early growth stages and very rare in cultivation. See thread in this forum for photos and details.

Roridula gorgonias and R. dentata are two shrubby plants from S. Africa with sticky leaves, a bit like Drosera. They don't digest their prey though, they rely on bugs to eat the caught insects and derive nutrients from bug excretia.

Devil's Claw. Ibicella lutea, is a native of Mexico, which has been introduced to S. California and Arizona. This plant is covered in sticky glands which catch insects and is also considered carnivorous by some.

There are other plants which some but not all experts consider carnivorous, eg. The Stinking Passion Flower, Passiflora foetida, has very sticky bracts around its flowers and is claimed to digest the insects these catch.

Many of these plants are rare in cultivation and some are difficult to germinate or grow. I could probably find all of them, except Triphyophyllum, for sale somewhere over here in Europe, but don't no where to obtain them on your side of the Atlantic. You'll find more details on these plants and photos of many in Peter D'Amato's excellent book 'Savage Garden' , in my opinion it's a 'must read' for everone interested in these plants

Cheers
Vic

p.s. It looks like U. bisquamata 'Betty's Bay' to me.

It talks about them in Savage Garden!!!
confused.gif
I didn't know that...i have the book but i didn't get there yet i can't wait now i'm gonna read it like...now!! Thanx for all the info i really appreciate it
biggrin.gif

Back