What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Everybody has their own recipe for success. What do each of these media bring to the CP table with regard to retaining moisture, providing aeration, germinating seed, leaf cuttings, etc..?

The best media so far for all seedlings and venus flytraps would deffinitly have to be a mixture of 50/50 peat and sand. I feel that perlite is too big and the peat mixture compacts way to fast thereforth suffocating the roots. Sand is the best... LFS is always good too.
I steer clear of perlite now, I only use this in minute mixtures now in sarracenias with sand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ May 24 2004,6:56)]The best media so far for all seedlings and venus flytraps would deffinitly have to be a mixture of 50/50 peat and sand.  I feel that perlite is too big and the peat mixture compacts way to fast thereforth suffocating the roots.  Sand is the best...  LFS is always good too.
I steer clear of perlite now, I only use this in minute mixtures now in sarracenias with sand.
IMO, Peat and sand is a cactus mixture. I use 3 parts Peat, 2 parts Sand for seedlings, which is better, for me anyways. half and half peat and sand dries out too easily, and once it dries out, you gotta soak it in a bucket to get it to suck up water again. Well, same with any mix with peat in it, I guess, but more often in sand. Peat and Perlite is good for Sarrs, mine love it, even 2 parts peat/ 3 parts perlite works good! its easy to tell when you need more water... When its heavy, the perlite is soaked with water. When its really light, its dry and needs watering
biggrin.gif
I put LFS on the bototm of each pot, to reduce soil loss, and LFS on the top, to keep moisture in.

Back