What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We're being invaded!

Hi guys!

While feeding my plants this morning... I saw... Something terrible! Horrible green monsters have taken over my home and have taken two of my droseras hostage!! *creepy music*

Yes, you guessed it, sounds like an aphid infestation. Small green and some black insects clinging to soft leaves and flower stalks at the base of the plants.

Now what do I do to repel this evil invader?

As always, thanks again.

Some suggest submerging the plants under water for some period. My approach is more direct. I spray them with orthene.

...I always thought insects were pretty hard to drown... how long do they need to be kept under then?

Onde thing I have learned from the torrential downpurs we had this summer (aside from providing better drainage), is that the plants, themselves, can take being under water for several days.

So try it for a day and monitor the results. If it needs more time - don't worry about the plants.

But will it reallt get rid of those aphids? I remember trying to drown a wasp once, hours later it was still alive! In the end I got fed up and just shook it to death.

Don't ask so many questions!! A 24 hour soak should do it, and if not, let them sit there for a few days, submerged. It will do the trick. However, I am with Bob. Orthene will do them under but good!!!

Aphid control

Hi Cath, I did a quick search and found a natural spray that can easily be used. Also, A friend was telling me about the use of Pyrethrum to rid aphids. then it occurred to me - Pyrethrum is naturally found in chrysanthemums. An artificail version of the chemical is used by pest control operators (exterminators). So there are a few safe options out there.
smile.gif

Bug weed is correct. No fancy solutions needed...water works.

Yes, it does. My pond plants have gotten heavy infestations in the past. I cure them by sinking them, with the help of a screen, for two to three days. On my non-wter plants I use orthene.

Thanks guys! Water it is then. *sigh* Their first bath! How cute ^_^.
...I just hope they won't "lose" their peat everywhere but in their pots...

Jim, I checked your recipe, water garlic and liquid soap... but I thought soap could be trouble for CPs? Anyone can confirm this?

Depending on how heavy the infestation is, water may not be enough, but orthene will be enough. I was always shy of the stuff, but had to use it this year on a nasty outbreak of the little suckers. Not even a loss of dew or a bent tentacle on my most sensitive Drosera or Utricularia. I now recommend the product without reservations.

I have grown Drosera underwater for a month, no problem. The issue is if you have aphids on one plant they are likely hiding in others, ready to reproduce and reestablish. Orthene is a systemic and the plants become poision to the aphids over time.

I might if I'm realllly in trouble, but before that I prefer chemical free solutions.

Besides, acephate (orthene is the trade name) shouldn't be too hard to create, as C4 H10 NO3 P S is relatively comon stuff.

Thank you very much for you help everyone =).

After all, soap does seem quite harmful after all. No more aphids that I can see, which is good, but the more tender leaves are blackening, I think it because of the soap since the plants I "washed" relatively quickly are less affected.

Soap + drosera = not good.

D'Amato was right.

Hopefully, the plants will recover. Start looking for new growth again.
smile.gif

I am! It's about them I was talking, they are the "tender" leaves that seem burned.

Hopefully it won't last too long.

Back