What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well this is just cruel.................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
Wednesday afternoon it was melting.............its currently hovering somewhere around -15(was -20 about an hour ago with no wind).................dang it Finch, i demand to know where my global warming is!!!!!!!!!!

aaaahahahaha yes i have that same weather system moving through. Funny thing, its called weather. Some places it will be hot, some places it will be cold. The 2006 average annual temperature for the contiguous U.S. was the warmest on record. This is called weather- global warming as it is believed, is a subtle background act of slow gradual warming. This has made warmer-than-average conditions more common in the U.S. and other parts of the world. It is unclear how much of the recent anomalous warmth was due to greenhouse-gas-induced warming and how much is just a unusually warm year. I, for one, don’t see really warm temps and go AHA! Global Warming! Some proponents of global warming will take a decidedly alarmist attitude to this (Oh the 2005 hurricane season is part of a hurricane cycle, despite what they will say- none of the references I use and trust make a peep about it, BTW) but most scientists have a more restraind view, and thus comes the understanding that weather will be weather, and while individual severe weather acts may catch the headlines and our attention, they are not Global Warming per say. I too am skeptical of those who say “This was caused by global warming” as is is near impossible to precisely measure its affects on specific weather events. We can see general trends, and the general trend is towards warming and increased temperature. The spikes along the way should be regarded as weather. Global warming is a trend, not weather.

One thing to remember global warming does not really mean that you are going to have warmer weather. Global warming is a warming of the earths total temp, causing shifting weather patterns.

Global warming could mean that some areas will go from mild weather to artic like conditions.

hmmmmmmmm dont you understand sarcasm :censor: :poke: :crazy:

i dont mind cold weather but to freeze your hands going the 20 feet from vehicle to inside is just rediculous............least there is no wind at the moment........according to the truck its 10:30 and still 18 below, looking out the window you would think its going to melt the sun is shining so bright..........think im going to go home and steal my beardies heat lamp.........

rattler_mt, i know what you meant, be we here at the propaganda house couldnt miss this oppertunity to spread our...stuff.

Its really cold here too, below 0 here too, though not quite as cold as where you are. I know the feeling

stuff is one way to put it but i can think of another word that starts with the same letter...................see the dang cold is making me grumpy...............doesnt help ive got a kick arse idea for a frog tank that i cant attempt till it thaws...........think im going to go hibernate in my basement, my knees are so torqued off cause of the cold and pressure swings this week that im not accomplishing anything here at work............think ill go stare at my tropical frog tanks and think warm thoughts................

Last night our low was 53F. Usually it is more nearly freezing, or at least in the 40's. Today our high is 60F. But I appreciate that we are balmy compared to others.

At least you didn't get down to -51F like west Yellowstone did. You can thank a tanking -EPO and the arctic jet for the cold weather.

I found a mosquito in my room this morning...A MOSQUITO! How the heck would it be there unless it's been unusually warm lately?

-Ben

It's been in the mid 70's here in south Ga. the past few days,I feel for you Rattler!

Jerry

It got down to 16F here in the high desert of Southern California yesterday night. The forecast says it will get down to 11F tonight, which may set a record low. Even Schwarzenegger (our governor) declared a State of Emergency and made several national guard centers across the state open their doors to the homeless so they could act as "warming centers".

Snow elevations got pretty low, and people on the news were acting as if snow was the next wonder of the world.:-))

See I do not think that people take not consideration that heat builds up. Regardless of what is causing it. When you have a heat source like the sun constantly emitting radiation onto the earth temps build. Over the years the temps slowly increase. Regardless of the "greenhouse" gasses. IMO I tend to think abstractly sometimes so bare with me. I am no scientist and don;t plan to be one, but those folks that made breakthroughs many years ago were not "scientists" until they were labeled that many years after their deaths. So Could we be seeing the same thing happen to the planet that happened to the dinosaurs? The beginning of the next ice age perhaps? I think the earth is in a cycle. The weather is going to get more violent, hotter AND colder. I do not believe the earth is or ever has been stable over a long period of time. In short periods yes it is, and in the short span of recorded time it is stable, but all the prerecorded time is unknown. There could be a reason people survived those thousands of years without AC and it was nothing to be out in the sun all day, because the temps were not as hot as they are getting today.

We also have to take into account the sun is expanding too. Now I dunno how fast this happens. SO DON'T GO BASHING, Every show I see on the sun says as it is dying it expands and our sun will eventual engulf this planets, but it also said that was millions of years away. So it is not expanding that fast I do not believe, but maybe it has something to do with increased temps?

These are just some of the things I think about when I am bored or watch these nature shows or cosmos shows. It is all strictly opinion and my twisted thinking. I for one do not think it is global warming, but rather a natural cycle our planet is in. Now could we be expediting the cycle? Who knows.

Temps slowly increse? Over time, just because? What about ice ages? Why are we not living in a furnace right now? Those are the answers we are looking for.

Science is the seeking of knowledge about the world around you through verifiable facts. We had a great discussion where we discussed all your concerns in the "I smell..." Topic, so for the sake of brevety i will not repeat them here. Yes things go through cycles of hot and cold, the data and history clearly show that. That is not in debate and people who advocate global warming do not question that.

I am not gonna talk about global warming any further in this thread. If you would like to discuss it, lets talk about it in the global warming thread.

Looks like I got under Finch's skin with that post. LOL I watched a show about global warming and the ice age, and it said something to the fact that the temps swing and during the winter months the world got trapped in ice.

The thing about earth just getting hotter and hotter just from sitting in front of the sun. Well think about it. you sit a pot on the stove on low heat. That pot is going to slowly increase in temps until it is too hot for you to touch. Same principal here. We are sitting in front of a heat source and slowly increasing in temps.

No i said that because i have the data or global temps for the last half-million years posted on the other topic. Also, the world was far warmer during the cretaceous period for one, when there were no icecaps and the oceans spilled over onto the continents. Therefore, by your logic, it should be warmer now than it was then, because 65 million years have passed, so…

Well finch my point exactly. Goes back to my cycle theory too.

You said it was far warmer then? OK then came along the ice age because of the drastic temp swings that bought along the ice age and cooled us off for us to warm back up again. All points back to my cycle theory and the fact that we still get warmer by the year. Melting the icecaps till they are gone then we get hit with another ice age. Cooling the temps back off for us to do it all over again.

Finch I never said I had any supporting data. I never said I was a scientics. I stated these were my opinions and expected them to be treated as such. You think I am stateing fact and I am not. Just a theory.

Back