What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well house and dormancy

I have an old well house that I am considering putting my CPs in while they are dormant. I lost 6 plants last year due to an very cold weather. In west KY winters are spastic, one year it is cold for very short perioids, then another year long hard freezes. So the floor of the building is I think under the freezing line. I am wondering about lighting and heat. Should I have a growlight? Also should I have an heater in there just to keep the temp above freezing?

Hi doc. Is the well house completely underground like a cellar or is part of it above ground? If it's underground it should stay about 50 degree F in there. If it's not underground then it will probably be about the same temp. inside as it is outside. Either way you'll probably need some lighting. Dormant plants need some light but not as much as during growth periods. You should also check out the DORMANCY, HIBERNATION, SLEEPING etc... !!CHECK HERE FIRST!!! post in the general discussion section of these forums. Hope this helps!!

-buckeye

Back