What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

weird D. rotundifolia hibernacula

i've seen many pictures of D. rotundifolia hibernacula and mines just does'nt looks like any of them , except it looks more like a tuberous sundew trying to flower , heres a pic , a lil blurry but you can see what i mean :
d_rotundifolia_hibernacula.sized.jpg
this does'nt even look like a D. rotundifolia in growth so whats wrong with it ?

I would never have guessed that this is a D. rotundifolia  
rock.gif
When did you get this plant?  Was the growth this past summer "normal"?  

-Homer

ui got it from cooks , i order is a few days ago so i;ve only had this plant for a short while and this is how it looked .

I recommend just keeping the plant alive to see what it is one day, when it comes out of its funk.  I seriously doubt its a rotundifolia.  Keep us posted.  

-Homer

i doubt as well and its stalk is starting to turn brown

i emailed dean asking him what was the problem with my plant , he said that he was growing it in shade for a while , now i have grown a few plant that require lots of light in shade and they have ended up deofrmed so maybe it'll snap out of this later because i'm growing it in full sun .

Maybe it is a 40N mutant rotundifolia, don't the other 40N species make wierd hybernacuals?

... If it makes you feel better. I have a baby pygmi that is growing nice, big and compleatly upsidedown. Seriously, all it's siblings are just fine but this one insists on sticking it roots in the air and sitting on it's leaves... good thing my tank is so humid with my new waterfall... I should take a picture some time.

Hmmmmm, I seriously doubt the ID on this one. It is probably D. peltata. Even when etiolated D. rotundifolia would not produce such a stem. When in the rosetted phase the mistake could be made. Time will tell: the traps on D. peltata when in the stem forming stage are very different looking from D. rotundifolia.

That would be the worst ID bungle I have ever heard of, lol. A tropical tuberous Drosera mislabled as a temperate, cold dormant one.
Not to mention, the seed is usually mislabled from the start, and that should not be the case here, as once the plant started growing upright someone should realize they have a tuberous drosera instead of D. rotundifolia(would D. peltata seed survive the typical stratifying fpr D. rotundifolia?) .
Oh my, oh my.

Goldtrap thats what Dean cook sent you! god looks like eveything i have got from him He's such a bad grower even tho its winter and Cp's do go dormant that just looks really bad im sorry that's what you were waiting for if i was you i would tell him to make it rite and send you something nice! i look at his pic's on his website where's all those plants at? lol oh well good luck
smile.gif
E.C

I've seen lots of Drosera rotundifolia that were growing in competition with Sphagnum and in conjunction with lower light levels, like when in my refrigerator that looked exactly like your photo. They are not hybernacula, they are attempting to begin growth. If you force them to remain dormant you may lose them. When they get like this I usually coax them into normal growth by gradually bringing up their temperature and light levels.

Indeed it is Drosera rotundifolia, believe it or not.  Obviously hasn't see too much lighting leading to elongation as shown. I was apparently in a hurry when pulling that one, unfortunately sometimes happens since I pull and wrap all the orders.  With this as well as any other problem with plants, I am more than willing to replace it if the customer is dissatisfied.  Just a matter of writing me is all.  Same policy that has been since 1992 when we started.

<span id='ME'><center>SnowyFalcon applauds Dean for being such a honest businessman!</center></span>

thank you dean and glad to see you made a post here , but , i would like to keep this plant because i found the way it is growing to be so interesting and odd . no need to exchange it , well unless is deceases of coarse
biggrin.gif

Me and Dean talked and reasoned out things i understand now that he's the only person runing Cooks Cp's and that must be really stressfull for him. He's going to try diffent way's to make sure are plants get to us in better shape
smile.gif

sorry again Dean i was being a jerk now i can see that yur a very nice person and i repect you take care . E.C

Back