What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weeping Willow

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Has anyone ever heard of using weeping willow leaves as having similar propertied as the commercial rooting hormone?

I have rooted some willows for use as bonsai. Cut some of the branches and place them in water.
I've heard people then using the water for other plants.

That is very interesting.  I never heard of that but it makes sense.  You can stick a willow branch in anywhere & it will grow into a tree.  
smile.gif

I know that willow bark is full of natural aspirin, and was extensively used by Native Americans as a remedy for pain, but the rest of this thread is new to me.

I`ve heard about using the bark and soaking it in water and then useing this for a rooting hormone,the solution must be used imediately though as it will lose its usefulness.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I`ve heard about using the bark and soaking it in water and then useing this for a rooting hormone

That is pretty much what I heard, You take a jar, fill it with some smaller weeping willow twigs cut to a size that fits in the jar, and top it off with water. I assumed you let it soak for a little while. But then it said you can take cuttings and dip the cut end into the water before planting...similar to the rooting hormone powder.

BTW, jbest is the originator of this topic. I just stole his thunder. Sorry.

YOU BIG "THUNDER STEALER" JIM
mad.gif
Just kiddin'
That's new to me, see I do learn something new everyday.

Back