What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weed Killers!

What's the best kind of weed killer? My house gets attacked by weeds like.. giant thistles all summer usually and I just want to kill them.. even though they're kinda pretty in a sinister sort of way... What's the best of those weed killers.. like umm.. Weed Be Gone.. or Round-up. I haven't really tried any, but since the thistles are still young now.. I'd like to take the initiative here and kill em before they get too big.

Oh and I tried stomping them... doesn't work.... if only CPs were this hardy. >_>

A boot hardy CP would be quite cool.

Burn them with a blow torch. You don't even need to burn them. Just run the torch over them so the weed gets the intense heat. Then allow them to die in a couple days and case closed.

Warning: I've never tried this, but I read about it a while back.

xvart.

Ooooo...fire.....i like the sound of that.... yyyeess...fire....

I've never heard of that method.. if I can get my hands on a blow torch I'll try it.. probably be a good idea to keep a bucket of water handy though. :p

boiling water works, too...just grab a tea kettle or something and scald the things to death.

So anything hot? Lol

So I guess any commercial chemicals are offically crap then, huh? It's okay.. less money to spend. :D

I like these ideas, they weren't what I had expected.

I care for the grounds of an apt complex and use RoundUp. But I know of the torch (never used it) they carry them at my local hardware store. here is an example : http://gardenshoponline.com/herbicides/propaneweedtorch.html the idea is it boils the water in the plant and destroys the plant internally.. so you do not catch it on fire.. . just boil the internal water.
Andrew

the idea is it boils the water in the plant and destroys the plant internally.. so you do not catch it on fire.. . just boil the internal water.

Yes, that is exactly it! I couldn't remember exactly the reasoning behind it. Just make sure that you are just getting the "heat wave" and not the actual torch part. You don't even need to pick it later. Just let it decompose! Don't forgot your safety goggles :0o:

xvart.

Some Agent Orange or paraquat will take care of your weed problems.

I always wonder how those herbicides that say they don't hurt ornamental plants can tell the difference.

Roundup works well.

So roundup DOES work too? I wonder what'd be the cheaper route.. probably roundup... but it would be fun toasting all those weeds. I'll get my parent's opinion on that I guess.

Roundup kills everything and Weed-B-Gon kills the broad leaf weeds like dandelions. If you use round up in your lawn you'll not only kill the weed but the grass around it also.

Back