What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

waterlogged

can mexican and warm temprat pings sit in water for several days and then have a two day dry period till i fill up the try again?(low on soace in the grow rack...would like to grow sisde by side with rosseted sundews and tropical sundews.)

I wouldn't. They grow rather nicely indoors, under artificial lighting and/or by a sunny window. I don't keep them water-logged at all. I have experienced "browning heart" with them when I had them outside, when we had a 2" rainstorm that covered them.

I grow many of mine like this. Have avoided brown heart problems (touch wood) - don't know why.

Mine still tend to do ok when they are wetter than they should be, but I wouldn't push it b/c of the issues stated above... but is there any way you can elevate the pots with Mexis a litle higher on the water table? Maybe some stones underneath to keep them from getting so waterlogged?

Cole

If you read what Joseph Clemens and Mark Wilson did / suggested, you would be confused by the approach and the results. I keep the pots in like 1/8" water, for the most part, during the growing season.

Yeah, I agree that they shouldn't be waterlogged- but perhaps you could get a larger tray so you won't have to water it as often? Do as jim and the others have suggested and use a reasonable water level if possible, to avoid taking any risks. Otherwise, if you can, try using a taller pot, or a better-draining mix if I'm worried that one plant in my larger tray might prefer drier conditions.
Here's what a portion of my tray looks like with 2 pots of pings in the front and towards the back:
dews_and_pings_tray_method.JPG

You'll notice that the ping towards the front is able to handle water quite well, so I keep it in a small pot.

Back