What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering with turface as a medium/ chronic overwatering recovery help

i have switched my
Mexican pinguicula to 100 percent turface several months ago, and I have had issues knowing when to water. This is partially because I thought turface had extremely weak capillary action, but that does not appear to be true.
So the advice I am seeking:
1. What are some of you turface users watering regimes?

2. Some of my pinguicula have fully lost their roots, although the rosettes still appear healthy. How can I help bring them back to health and regrow roots? Take into consideration my set up is warm/hot, and I can do relatively little about it in my current living situation.

Thank you so much!

Bonjour

have you the turface composition ? it is calcined clay ?

close to akadama , no?

I see this composition with a PH: 6.2

Composition Mg/Kg:
Al : 6590
As : 8
Ba 124
Be : 0.7
Ca : 3640
Cd : 0
Co : 2.6
Cr : 15.8
Cu : 4.1
Fe : 10700
K : 3210
Mg :2730
Mn : 96
Na : 574
Ni : 11.8
Pb : 6.6
Sb : 0
Se : 0
Sn : 0
Ti : 0
V : 10.4
Zn : 33.4
Ag : 0

for me this substrate is not enough calcareous or gypsicole for the ping

use more calcareous to see your roots reappear.

my substrate for a lot of ping ( mexican-andin-caraibes-temperate)

50% cat litter, sometimes with a little akadama (perhaps this turface) for the water retention
12.5% river sand(small particle size) for the capillarity and for 'allegeant ' ( in french I have not the english translate)
12.5% calcareous sand to reinforce the notion limestone
12.5% pouzzolane for the water retention and the aeration
12.5% vermiculie or perlite 'allegeant' (in french I have not the english translate)

jeff

Last edited:
I thoroughly water my pings growing in turface about once every three weeks. You say your grow area is warm/hot so you might want to try a bit more often but, for most anyway, I think an bit too little is better than a bit too much as long as you pay attention. Of course pings can have different watering needs, some like to be kept wet during the growing season but bone dry on the off season, some don't seem to care much one way or the other and some seem to think dryer is better. Find out their natural growing conditions and give them what they need. No your pings. They will be happier and so will you.

Bonjour

with what species have you some roots problems?

jeff

Hey Jeff. Yes, turface is a brand name of calcined clay. Interesting that it is slightly acidic.

I will try dolomite or other limestone additive. So there seem to be many problems. A mealybugs infestation at the roots, for one.
Secondly, in the transplant to mineral substrate many pings have a peat cap over their root area that seems to have become very hard and hydrophobic, blocking the new roots which may otherwise appear.
The pings I am having total root loss with are rotundiflora and esseriana

Last edited:
Bonjour

if on these 2 you put a limestone substrate they will make again roots .

Secondly, in the transplant to mineral substrate many pings have a peat cap over their root area that seems to have become very hard and hydrophobic, blocking the new roots which may otherwise appear

it is the problem with peat , especially if you do their dormancy from October to May.

jeff

Back